SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By codeeater
I have a PCB that I etched, however because it is the first one I've done it is a bit dodgy and has a lot of solder bridges to fix gaps in tracks. It also has a small wire soldered to the copper side as I forgot to lay a trace. Therefore I am aware that this makes it slightly vulnerable to being knocked and the wire coming off or something and it breaking the circuit.

So I am looking for a way to hold everything exactly as it is and prevent any damage occurring to the underside of the board.

The first thing that springs to mind is to just cover the underside of the board in glue gun glue so it is held as it is forever (of course I would only do this once everything is definitely working). But I haven't heard of anyone else doing this.

Looking on the forum I saw someone suggest this: http://www.all-spec.com/products/2106-1 ... 4AodYRSwYg But I don't think this would protect the soldered wire on the underside of the board.

Would glue gun glue work? Or has anyone else got any other suggestions?
By Blackfin
Generally speaking, a two-part, 5-minute epoxy works pretty well for holding down "fly wires." Put a blob where it connects to the board and a blob every inch or so along its length. Use a bit of tape to hold the wire down until the epoxy sets.

A conformal coat is a good idea. Make sure you clean the board well before applying it. This will help protect the board from environmental contaminants and oxidation of the copper.
By MichaelN
Rather than a silicone-based conformal coating, I'd suggest a PCB lacquer that can be soldered through if needed later. Even RadioShack-type stores should carry this. Hot glue might be OK, and has the advantage that it can easily be removed with isopropyl alcohol.
By lyndon
Is it going to be mounted to anything, or will it just knock around on a tabletop? You could put it in a case and then the loose wires won't even be seen.