SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By ckambiselis
Hi,

I'm new to EAGLE and I'm working on a PCB design, I was wondering if there is a way to group elements as one element, for example I have placed two lines of headers where a Arduino Micro will be placed, but when I want to move those headers I want to move them as one element keeping the distance between them the same, without having to select them as group, as there maybe be other elements between them that must not be moved.

Thanks in advance
By Kamiquasi
You would have to group them individually. Hold the Ctrl key and left click on the element to add it to the group selection (the Group tool must be active). Make sure you click on/near its Origin marker to prevent adding some unrelated element to the Group. Ctrl+clicking on an element already in the group will remove it.
By ckambiselis
Well the problem isn't selecting multiple elements to modify them, the problem is keeping those elements as group for ever, so at some point if I want to move them, I just click on one of the elements of the group and just move them all together. I'm not actually taking about the Group command I'm just asking if it is possible to combine many elements to one element.
By Ross Robotics
The only way to combine them per-say would be to make a library with them. Then you can use the library on anything.
By Kamiquasi
Unfortunately not, as far as I know. I understand what you're saying now, and while we haven an in-house tool to remember certain groupings, it's not automatic as Eagle lacks things like events (e.g. an event that triggers a function call if the user 'selects' a component allowing the function to automatically 'select' other components that should be moved with it) - so a keybinding has to be hit first (which does get forgotten sometimes). You would indeed have to create a new package as codlink suggested.. with all the pitfalls thereof.