SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By logic_tree
hi everyone,

I am a beginner to the world of pcb desinging, and have to design a PCB with the wifi module RN 131(by roving networks,just the bare module).Though I have some experience in electronics, PCB designing is something I have never tried out. Anyways,I could not find this component(RN 131) in any tool(tried Kicad,Fritizing,Eagle,gEDA).It seems one has to make a cutom component (footprint,schematic representation etc ??!!) for this, and it is something of a advanced topic, please help me out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
By Garth
Regardless of CAD package, there will be countless components that don't come with it, and you'll have to make your own. Fortunately, the CAD does let you make your own components. Even for common components, I have made my own to get greater density than I could have with what came with the CAD.
By InactiveUser001
You will need to learn how to make your own parts for this.

There is no easy way around it.
By UNTEngineer
Well, you have to choose a CAD program and stick with it. You cant bounce between programs. Then you'll build a custom library of parts for that program. Personally, I suggest Eagle CAD, because that one is free and easy to learn.
By dlotton
As others have said, no one makes a comprehensive part library. You'll have to learn how to build parts in whatever CAD package you decide to use.

It seems intimidating in the beginning, but once you've learned how to build components it frees you to use virtually any part available, and it really isn't that hard. Eagle (and probably most other CAD packages) comes with a library of common component PCB footprints (e.g. 14-pin SOIC, 14-pin DIP, 0603 resistor, etc.), so for most components all you need to do is build a schematic symbol, associate it with the correct footprint, and map the schematic symbol pins to the PCB footprint pins. If you run into a part that has footprint that isn't in hte library, you can build your own(at least with Eagle, and presumably most others).

Good luck.