SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By anandsba
Hi,
I have a circuit where I am using 4 LEDs. I want to put them on a small PCB and connect it to the main PCB (remaining ckt) using a connector cable. Is there a way to do this?

TIA,
Anand.
By UNTEngineer
anandsba wrote:Hi,
I have a circuit where I am using 4 LEDs. I want to put them on a small PCB and connect it to the main PCB (remaining ckt) using a connector cable. Is there a way to do this?

TIA,
Anand.
You'll have to break it down into separate projects, with their own schematics and PCB layouts. As Leon says, just use two schematics.
By anandsba
Right now I have one schematic.
The last option is have two schematics. I wanted to know if there are any options to have two boards (one having some components and other having the rest) mapped to a single schematic.
By Ross Robotics
It depends on what program you are using. Last time I heard, Fritzing was trying to implement multiple boards in the PCB view. As far as I am aware, Eagle does not support this.
By WethaGuy
lyndon wrote:Layout the "two" PCBs as a single board, but put a cut line where you want it separated. Have the PCB vendor shear the board in two at the cut line.
You may find adding airwires to lyndon's solution above will help make the layout work better also.
By UNTEngineer
You could, in addition to lyndon's solution, make your schematic on two separate sheets, if you have the Hobby version of Eagle. At least that way you can separate out the two schematics, but keep them in the same project.
By anandsba
Hello,
Wish You all a very Happy New Year 2013
Thanks for all your replies.
For the problem I had, I found a way out. I am not very sure whether it would be applicable to others or not. What I did was:
1> Added two connectors to the schematic.
2> Connected the two circuits (One which will be there on the main board and other which will be there on the LED board)using the connectors added. The two circuits are not connected electrically unless we use a connector cable between the two connectors.
3> Completed the main board as usual.
4> Put the LED board components outside the main board and place them as required.
5> Put a wire around the components in dimension layer.
6> Routed it (manually / automatically).
7> The two boards are done in a single PCB file.

By this way I have avoided two projects two schematics, two PCB files. I have not generated the gerber yet. I do not know what issues I will face in them;). I hope to have made my points clear. I wish I could have shared the circuit. However I cannot do that as it is confidential.
Regards,
Anand.