SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By rithi3
Im trying to rip up the traces alone in the eagle layout,but the vias also getting removed. Plz tell me is there is any way to lock the vias? Thanks!!!
By Ross Robotics
Vias are laid down automatically when you routing traces and switch from top to bottom or vise-versa. Is there a reason to keep the vias if you tear up the traces?
By Mach3Maelstrom
Here's one thing that's worked for me: hide the Unrouted layer. Now whenever you rip up traces, it doesn't rip up everything connected to it. The downside is that you can't lazily double-click on a trace to rip it all up. Upside is you don't have to keep Undoing your rip ups over and over.
By rithi3
codlink wrote:Vias are laid down automatically when you routing traces and switch from top to bottom or vise-versa. Is there a reason to keep the vias if you tear up the traces?

Actually I wanted stretch/slide the trace. I couldn't find any direct option to stretch.So, I deleted a part of the trace & thought to reroute. At that time vias got removed. Any option to stretch the trace avoid the bends? Also plz let me know is there any equivalent option in eagle which does the same as OOPS command in allegro . OOPS- Same as the undo command,but without exiting the command.
By rithi3
Mach3Maelstrom wrote:Here's one thing that's worked for me: hide the Unrouted layer. Now whenever you rip up traces, it doesn't rip up everything connected to it. The downside is that you can't lazily double-click on a trace to rip it all up. Upside is you don't have to keep Undoing your rip ups over and over.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I do this for stretching the trace. Is there any option to stretch the trace to avoid the bends?
By Mach3Maelstrom
rithi3 wrote:Thank you for your reply. Actually I do this for stretching the trace. Is there any option to stretch the trace to avoid the bends?
I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to, but I presume you want to rip up a trace from a via (preserving the via), then you want to re-route the trace so it connects to the via in a different path.

If this is what you mean, here's what I do.
  • Hide the Unrouted layer.
  • Rip up the trace going to the via up to the point that you want to correct.
  • Show the Unrouted layer.
  • Use the Route function (NOT the Move function) to continue the trace, automatically mitering any corners.
  • Reroute as desired.
It looks like 5 steps is a lot, but you'll really fly through these steps with practice.