SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By desipius
Hi all,

I'm looking for a few users to test a library I've built for generating custom circuit boards. The library currently contains the circuits listed below, which can be combined to make custom pcb designs. You can make selections on a web page, which checks to make sure everything you've selected will connect together properly, and I also have some software I wrote which allows me to quickly put together a design package on my end. So if anyone is interested, I'd love to find about 5 people to test the system with.

In return for testing the system and your feedback, you'll get all the design files you need in order to manufacture your custom pcb (schematic, fully routed layout, gerbers, BOM). You will need to order the parts using the BOM I supply (with a couple exceptions everything is available on Digikey), as well as the pcb (I can help you with sourcing if needed), and solder it together. I need feedback on how things went, and your suggestions on any improvements you might like. It will require surface mount soldering skills, or you can have the board assembled. I'm also talking with a few manufacturers, so depending on how far I get with that you might have options there as well.

I'd also love to hear general suggestions from everyone on designs you'd like to see added to the library. Eventually I want to provide a service that lets you design your own custom electronics (by simply picking what you want to be on the board), and either get a design package, a kit, or a complete board sent to you. I'd also like to make the designs in the library accessible to the public. That way anyone who wants can get the Schematic, Layout, and BOM for the individual circuits and use them in their own designs.

-Ben

Library circuit choices:
  • Atmega328
    Atmega2560
    3 Axis Gyro - SPI
    6 axis gyro+accelerometer - SPI
    Temperature Sensor - I2C
    Light Sensor TEMT6000 - Analog
    Compass HMC6352 - I2C
    Dual 1A motor driver - PWM
    Bluetooth module - UART
    SD-MMC card slot - SPI