SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By mjn12
I'm currently in the process of designing my first PCB in eagle and I'm a little confused as to why the MAX 6675 part from the sparkfun analog IC library is surrounded by a tRestrict which is preventing the autorouter from routing traces to this part.

My understanding of the tRestrict layer is that it prevents routing on the top of the board. I'm confused because, as a surface mount part, I would assume that the only way for me to connect to the pads would be through a trace on the top of the board. I would think that in order to get a trace on the back of the board I would have to put down a via which I obviously couldn't do right at the pad for the IC.

The only reason I can come up for having the tRestrict in place is to force hand routing of this part because, according to its data sheet, certain trace lengths should be minimized for more accurate readings.

Can anyone confirm or correct my assumptions?
By mjn12
I spoke to some people on the #sparkfun IRC channel last night and they were able to solve my problem. First off I had my layers mixed up and the layer that the part is surrounded by is tKeepout and the reason the part wouldn't route was that I left the autorouter's routing grid set to 50mils. D'oh!