SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Mach3Maelstrom
Hello again! I've searched several forums & documents and spent hours testing several solutions, but can't seem to figure this out...

I need to take my .sch and .brd (or gerber files) and convert them into vector-font PDFs. This way, I can search for "R4" in the PDF and it will highlight the part.
This is for documentation, so I need these in PDF format -- any other format won't work for this purpose here.

I've tried:
  • Ghostscript
  • Ghostview w/ PStoEdit
  • PrimoPDF
  • Printing my files to PDF/PS, and
  • Converting to DXF and converting with AutoCAD DWG/DXF to PDF converter
These all produce a PDF that I can open with Adobe, but I can't search for text. I may have done one of the above incorrectly, so please help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
By Ross Robotics
Try PDFFactory.
By Ross Robotics
hmm. Google some tutorials and see if your skipping a step. You're running Eagle 6.3, right?
By Mach3Maelstrom
Yes, I'm running the latest Eagle Standard package and the latest PDFFactory freeware. I couldn't find such a tutorial after several hours of searching (I always search for answers before I post in the forum).

I searched the EAGLE help for "pdf" and got the following:
If the output file name has an extension of ".pdf" (case insensitive), a PDF file will be created. A PDF file can also be created by selecting "Print to File (PDF)" from the "Printer" combo box in the print dialog. Texts in a PDF file can be searched in a PDF viewer, as long as they are not using the vector font.
I have "always use vector font" on for proper gerber creation, but even after changing the font type in the schematics, it doesn't work...
By Ross Robotics
Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything else being I am not at your computer. Maybe someone will chime in with an idea.