SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By kd5crs
I've never done any surface mount soldering, but I've got my first board on the way. Assuming it works and I want to make several of these, I'm wondering if a stencil is worth it. Each board only has 40 pads, and the components are just 0603s and a SOIC.

Would you splurge for a stencil, or just use a solder paste syringe? I'd be making around 100 boards, if everything works.

Thanks.
By nickersonm
I'd go for a syringe. I used one for two of these boards, and it wasn't difficult. It might be helpful to place the components as you finish pasting each part layout - I waited until I pasted everything, and some of the paste had dried out a bit by then. It still worked fine (molex connectors added later), but I had to be careful to avoid jostling the parts while moving it to the oven.
By AndyC_772
Personally I'd use a soldering iron for a small number of boards to test them out and make sure they work OK. For 100 boards I'd look at contracting the job out to a manufacturer who has automated equipment, or at least, an experienced operator who can solder by hand quickly and reliably.
By MichaelN
For 100 boards I'd get a $25 stencil from Ryan O'Hara and do it myself - you'll save a LOT of time and trouble compared to using a syringe or hand soldering. If you can contract the job out at a price that's reasonable, that would be another option.