SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Hemi
Hey All,

I'm using Eagle 6.1.0 Light and following the tutorial http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108 for help designing my own project.

I've tried searching for *stand-off* and tried other suggestions that I've read in the comments on that page but can't seem to find this component for the keepout ring. I downloaded all the libraries at https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun-Eagle-Libraries

Could someone tell me where it's located at?

Thanks!
By Ross Robotics
Stand-offs are not part of the PCB. They are hardware for mounting PCBs. Stand-offs mount by the holes in your PCB. There is a standard library in Eagle for mounting holes called "hole." Sparkfun's library as a mounting hole as well, but just one size.
By Hemi
Thanks, I hadn't tried searching for mounting hole. At any rate, I just installed the latest sparkfun libraries and found it. :)
By langwadt
codlink wrote:Stand-offs are not part of the PCB. They are hardware for mounting PCBs. Stand-offs mount by the holes in your PCB. There is a standard library in Eagle for mounting holes called "hole." Sparkfun's library as a mounting hole as well, but just one size.
often the right thing to do is to have standoffs part of the schematic/pcb, it means they are in BOM and you are sure the holes are the right size for the type of standoff you intend to use and something you want a pad not a hole so the stand of is connected (to ground usually)

but of course for one-ofs just pick the right hole size and be done with it
By Ross Robotics
Thanks Lang, never knew that! Figured standoffs were pretty much standard size. That's what I get for building computers.. Used to the stand-offs being just one size.
By langwadt
codlink wrote:Thanks Lang, never knew that! Figured standoffs were pretty much standard size. That's what I get for building computers.. Used to the stand-offs being just one size.
don't want to make it more complicated than it is, just putting a few 3mm hole on the pcb will work just fine.
but sometimes you want a specific length etc. and if you do it in the schematic it in th BOM