SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By motley28
I bought this usb fm transmitter kit that has USB on the board. Now if have soldered usb connectors on to boards before but this one is already built on it. there is a picture i attached to this for you to see. My question is what do i need to add to this so it will plug into a USB port? It won't just plug in like it is it's to loose. Is there a way to attach the metal part of a connector on it? I'm confused!!!

I tried to upload image don't know why it didn't stick picture can be found here
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a1y96994c17w4s7
Last edited by motley28 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By macegr
Not going to download something from Mediafire. Your image was probably way too big, resize it. You can also use handy upload services like Imgur or Flickr and include the image right in your post. But try to keep it less than 600 pixels wide. Learning how to upload images to the internet will be a valuable life skill, trust me.
By motley28
The mediafire link was my own personal acccount and it shows the board in more detail. Uploaded a pic again that is 371x316. Didn't think that was too big.
By Philba
Yeah, the media fire thing was kind of a PITA but to your question - It looks like it's designed to directly plug in but the PCB is too thin. I'd get some thin, stock and shim the non-copper side for a tighter fit. Some sort of PE would be ok. Metal would be too. Just make sure you glue it really well.
By motley28
excellent! Thank you for the response. I thought it was suppose to just plug in direct butit was too loose. I'm not sure what PE is but I can figure it out. I do understand what u mean by shimming it out. I figure if I head down to JB Saunders on Sat. the guy down there can help me. He's pretty knowledgeable and has gave me some tips on SMT already. Thanks again.
By leon_heller
I can't see why it wasn't designed to use a proper USB connector.