SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By eranrund
Hello.

Has anyone used the mentioned part?
With Eagle's default DRU settings as well as with SparkFun's DRU file I get clearance errors on all the pins of the IC.

Any suggestions?
Also, if someone has designed a board with this part, I would be more than glad to see a copy if possible :)

Thanks.
By phalanx
Keep in mind that the Sparkfun DRC is for boards going through the BatchPCB services which has 8mil trace width and spacing requirements. It's quite possible that your board is fine for other manufacturers.

I haven't looked at the library to see how the LPC1758 was laid out but 0.5mm pitch components are on the threshold of what can be manufactured by the BatchPCB service. The problem I'm guessing you are running into is the pads are too close together. Check the DRC errors and then go back and edit the library to see if you can increase the spacing between pads to at least 8 mils. Making the pads narrower could fix your problem but will make soldering more difficult.

-Bill
By eranrund
Thank you for your reply.
I have tried lowering the DRU requirements to 6mil but it didn't help. I did however find the part at a schematic of some open-source project and that variation passes the DRU so I will use this part (it also has the advantage of being tested).

I hope I will manage to solder this. This would be my first SMT project :)
By monstrum
In worst case, you could make the pads narrower than the actual device pins to pass a given a set of design rules. I have done it many times both hand soldered and in heat oven.