SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By alexus
Hey all
Ok i have a question that im not 100% sure how to ask :)
When i design board layout and use auto route i get regular links between elements. What I want to do is to have common gnd plate. Like if you see on most of the boards the there is no empty space, instead it is filled w/ copper that is also GND. If there any way to do that in eagle?
TNX!
By FartingMonkey92
Use the "Polygon" tool to create an outline of your board, on the appropriate layer, then give it the same net name as your ground traces. :wink:
Hit "Ratsnest" for it to be drawn.
By alexus
tnx
it did not work with rectangle but did work with polygon. Yet i still have problem. I'm trying to name it GND to be used as ground but Eagle tells me that I alredy have GND name used and to combine names i have to use NAME command. Thas some what confusing :( If i use random name the GND terminals are not connected to my poly
any ideas?
By TheDirty
If you google 'eagle ground plane' you'll find some step by steps.

To name the polygon, use the name tool and select the edge of the polygon. Name it the same as your ground net name, I assume GND. When you hit ratsnest it will fill the polygon and it will be connected you your ground net.
By JonChandler
The isolate property controls the clearance to traces and pads. From the edit/change menu, select 1solate and enter the desired clearance. The click the lower left corner of the plane to change it. You'll have to click ratsnest to see the changes.
By nemor
The
alexus wrote:tnx
it did not work with rectangle but did work with polygon. Yet i still have problem. I'm trying to name it GND to be used as ground but Eagle tells me that I alredy have GND name used and to combine names i have to use NAME command. Thas some what confusing :( If i use random name the GND terminals are not connected to my poly
any ideas?
If you try to rename your polygon with "info" tool you'll get an error. Info tool only let you rename if the name that you input does not exist already. For connecting your polygon to GND you have to use the "name" tool. It's the one that says "R2" in bold, avobe a resistor symbol.

Hope it helps