SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Jeff Haas
I know this is for designing PCBs but I think this is related.

Is there any software that will take a schematic and then lay out the part onto a perfboard or stripboard, to make building the first prototype easier? There are perfboard layout programs, but they all seem to be a box of virtual parts and a blank board, without any intelligence to help you set it up.

Ideally you would put in a schematic, list of parts, and also include the types of off-board connections you'd need. Then you would pick (or have suggested) a size of perfboard. Then the software would lay the parts out on the board, show you where to solder and also help you to position the connectors for best use.

Am I dreaming or is this out there?
By Jeff Haas
Thanks for the link. It's "Abandonware" but at least it's a start.

Update: Won't install for me. I've got Win 7 and tried various compatibility modes, no luck.
By Jeff Haas
Tried it on a WinXP machine. It installs OK. But I tried a simple circuit and then let it try to auto-populate the parts onto the board. Bleah!

I know this type of software is possible, I'm sure I played a game once where you built a rollercoaster and it could assemble the tracks pretty well. Oh well, maybe someday someone will make this...