SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By tones
I'm designing a board in Eagle to help with an Arduinome-like device -- 64 button/light components which need to be connected for col/row led/button multiplexing. My schematic is finished, with nets to make sure all the right bits connect up. But I'm running into a big roadblock when designing the board.

When I created my 64 parts in Schematic mode, Eagle placed their Board equivilants all way off-screen. I cannot find a way to scroll or zoom that will allow me to select or move them.

I'm trying to compensate by typing out my MOVE commands, instead of using the mouse. (So "MOVE 1A (0 0)" should move part "1A" to coordinate 0,0. I think.) However, any command of this sort produces the dreaded error message: "The Light edition of EAGLE can't perform the requested action! See Help for further details."

I can't tell what about this action is causing this error. I am guessing that I'm either somehow moving the part out-of-bounds (I don't understand Eagle's coordinate system) or moving the part in a way that overcomplicates the routing (although the routing is bound to be mega-complicated until I move all these parts into a reasonable grid.)

Any theories on what's going wrong and suggestions on how to fix it (and/or avoid it in the future) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
By FartingMonkey92
The free version of EAGLE will not let you place any of a component's pads outside of the area, 100 x 80 mm starting top-right of the board editor origin.

Do you have a 3-button mouse? It's an absolute necessity for scrolling in EAGLE...
You should have scroll bars if you have parts on screen which are not visable...
By orin
tones wrote:I'm designing a board in Eagle to help with an Arduinome-like device -- 64 button/light components which need to be connected for col/row led/button multiplexing. My schematic is finished, with nets to make sure all the right bits connect up. But I'm running into a big roadblock when designing the board.

When I created my 64 parts in Schematic mode, Eagle placed their Board equivilants all way off-screen. I cannot find a way to scroll or zoom that will allow me to select or move them.

I use the View menu, "Zoom to fit". That shows everything and allows me to move the parts from where Eagle dumped them into the 'legal' area. Usually, it's hard to see which part is which, so I just move them all _somewhere_ in the legal area, do another "Zoom to fit" and then start moving parts where I want them.

Orin.