SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By MrPotatoHead
Hi,

My current project failed the DRC. :(
Unfortunately, your design violates our design rules of 8 mil traces with 8 mil trace spacing.
The only orange highlighted things are component footprints. I am 80% sure that those are okay. A 6x6mm 28 pin QFN should not be pushing the boundaries. I know that I am missing something here. Can you someone help me out? I can email the eagle files to you. Thanks in advance.
Top layer copper:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

- joseph Y.
By analogon
In the past it has turned out that some PCB design programs will build up some bigger shapes with traces smaller than 7.8 mils. The DRC bot does not figure out that these pieces overlap to form a big piece that is plenty big enough.

Posts by SFEBPCB state that in such cases you should email support@batchpcb.com to ask that the design be approved manually.

See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21725&hilit=drc&start=17
By MrPotatoHead
I tweaked the layout to provide a lit bit bigger spacing for everything that was tight in my opinion. It still fails. I think it is the inductor footprint. I built the package with a SMD pad for the center and then polygons to make the weird 'c' shape. I emailed tech support.
By TheDirty
analogon wrote:In the past it has turned out that some PCB design programs will build up some bigger shapes with traces smaller than 7.8 mils. The DRC bot does not figure out that these pieces overlap to form a big piece that is plenty big enough.

Posts by SFEBPCB state that in such cases you should email support@batchpcb.com to ask that the design be approved manually.

See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21725&hilit=drc&start=17
This is your answer. Are you looking for something more?
By MrPotatoHead
Nope. Tech support responded today. My board is ordered. I was just responding to mattylad's comment this morning.

I'll post pictures of the project when everything arrives in the mail.

Quick teaser:
- 8x 1Amp Buck LED driver.
- uC
- 2x 10W RGBW LEDs
- 12 Feet of fiber optic