SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By kd5crs
Hello,

I've used BatchPCB for my boards, so quality plated through holes are something I've always taken for granted. Now I'm interested in making my own boards from double sided copper boards. I can drill the holes, but I don't know how to connect them.

What's the trick for connecting the sides? Do you just keep adding solder until the blob connects the sides, even though the solder doesn't stick to the glass epoxy? Or does it stick to the epoxy and I'm just doing it wrong? Do you use a tiny piece of wire? I need one side of the board to be as close to perfectly flat as possible, so any tips on that would help too.

Second, how do you cut this stuff? Just a hacksaw? I've seen some really expensive guillotine cutters, but is there an effective cheaper method in use?

Thanks.

Brian
By leon_heller
Just connect the top and bottom via pads with wire and solder it on both sides. If you use thin wire and bend it over, you can get it fairly flat.

The easiest way to cut the material is to score it deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and snap it. Clean the edges up with a file.

Join the Yahoo Homebrew PCB group.
Last edited by leon_heller on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By StigOE
kd5crs wrote:Second, how do you cut this stuff? Just a hacksaw? I've seen some really expensive guillotine cutters, but is there an effective cheaper method in use?
A Dremel with a diamond disc works very good. Cuts fairly quick and leaves a clean cut.
By TheDirty
A little late here, but I use a method with solder paste and hot air that is quick and easy for me.

I lay the board flat on a piece of wood. Working from one hole to another I insert a piece of wire and using cutters I cut the wire flush so that there is a tiny piece of wire in each hole. Syringe a small dab of solder paste on each hole with wire in it and hit the whole thing with hot air. The solder will melt hold the wire in. I then flip the board over and put it in a vise or clips. More solder on the other side an hot air again. It makes nice solder through holes that are fairly flat to start out with. Hit it with a file and you can get them right down.

This was my first try with the method. You can get really fast at it working through each hole quickly. It's pretty nice as long as you have a cheap hot air station.

By macegr
The fastest way without hot air or solder paste is to strip long sections of thin wire and just loop and lace it through a bunch of holes. Solder all the vias on both side and then cut off all the wire. The lacing holds everything in place while soldering, which is always the biggest problem.