SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By treez
Hi

We need to be able to import a three D model of the enclosure into our PCB layout software package, and move the components about to see if they hit the enclosure internals.

can Pulsonix do this?
By treez
ok thanks,

but i wish to import the enclosure into the PCB package, then move the components about on the PCB to stop them colliding with the enclosures internals, and then fix this position of components, so that i can re-track the PCB, safe in the knowledge that my tall capacitors etc do not collide with the ribs inside the enclosure.

So i actually wish to move the PCB components and see the enclosure protrusions aswell, and check that they are not colliding.

is this possible in Pulsonix.

I do not want to make the mechanical guys try to do it in their software, i wish to do it in mine.
By leon_heller
I just noticed that Pulsonix can import IDF files, so you might be able to do it. Check with the group, someone else might have done it.

[Edit]

I was talking to Pulsonix on another matter, and mentioned what you wanted to do. It won't work, IDF import only handles things like board outlines (2D). Altium will do what you want, apparently, with the latest graphics hardware.
By busonerd
To follow up re: Altium - Altium will definitely do what you want. You can import a STEP model, and by default - it will cause a collision if it + a component model take up the same space.

--David Carne