SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Mario Blunk
Hello,

is there anyone willing to disclose photos or screenshots of (assembled) PCBs ? I'm looking for good and professional reference projects to break the traditional prejudices against EAGLE.

Thank you all,
Mario
By macegr
I don't think it would help.

First, I'm not seeing that much prejudice against Eagle. It doesn't have features that more expensive packages have. Therefore it is cheap and commonly used on simpler designs, typically one-off PCBs taken from concept to completion by one person. More complex PCB packages put a lot more emphasis on group based work, maintainable designs and parts, manufacturing, and difficult routing problems best solved by a competent autorouter.

That means what you're seeing is probably not prejudice, but actual evaluation of cost versus benefits in a situation where more expensive PCB CAD is a viable (buyable) option. I don't doubt that some people would judge others by the PCB package they use, but you can probably safely ignore them.

If this is for hiring competency evaluation, then employers would only be interested in the work that the potential new hire has accomplished. Whether in Eagle or some other software, a reasonably well designed board example means that new hire has the potential to learn the house's preferred CAD package and succeed.

Showing other people's work has no meaning. I fully believe that someone could create a beautiful PCB by scratching copper-clad with a nail, but the fact that you have used nails too doesn't mean you would be good at PCB design.
By leon_heller
The OP could find a nice design done with one of the more "professional" packages and see if he can reproduce it with Eagle. He should be able to do it, maybe with some difficulty, and will then have something to "break the traditional prejudices against EAGLE."