SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By leon_heller
RS has just released DesignSpark PCB, a free PCB design package:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... ary-Banner

It's actually a version of a well-known PCB package that I used for over 15 years, from shortly after it was launched.

RS has obviously done it to annoy their main competitor, Farnell, who took over CADsoft (Eagle) a few months ago.
By phalanx
That looks promising enough to try out! If it can truely import Eagle libraries and other files, it will be a keeper. Hopefully it will encourage CadSoft to improve its free version of Eagle.

Now I just have to find a waking moment to give it a whirl!

-Bill
By leon_heller
It's got a few shortcomings compared to the full package, like no bused connections, but it should be usable for quite complex designs.
By TheDirty
Thanks Leon. I'm downloading it now.

Looks like it's activate-ware. I hate that, but I'll give it a try anyway.
By Philipf
Got it and activated. First looks are very good. It has a nice tabbed system(sch/brd) and supports RS part numbers(if it had farnell numbers to it would be ideal).

I've not tried any layouts yet, as documentation is lacking a little, but it is possible to import eagle designs/librarys somehow. I've not yet figured it out nor have I found the said tutorial.

Overall it looks nice and simple to use.
By leon_heller
I think that grateful users will be contributing their own libraries as they create new parts.

I created a Parallax Propeller part in a few minutes. I just had to create the schematic symbol, as it already had the DIL footprint, and add the pin names in the part editor. I copied and pasted them from the package I use. Of course, it was easy for me as I used to use the software it's based on. Someone new to it might find it a bit tricky at first, but it's the most complex operation with any PCB software. It's a lot harder with Eagle.
By Philipf
Im going to try making a new part, the trouble I had with Eagle was the sizings, I could never get my head around using metric/imperial next to each other.
By FartingMonkey92
Looks good. Point of activation: no idea.

OT:
Still interesting how many people give up EAGLE because of having trouble making footprints...
If i need a quick footprint, i use the script named "make-symbol-device-package-bsdl.ulp", job done!

Better documentation is needed for these programs to help get beginners going...
By TheDirty
I got it activated on my laptop, but trying to get a second activation for my desktop seems to have choked their system.
By leon_heller
It's many years since I last used the software it's based on. I had a fit of nostalgia and designed a minimal system for the Parallax Propeller with it. Some people on the Parallax forum are playing with it on my recommendation, and it might prove useful for them.

Here is the schematic file:

http://www.leonheller.com/DesignSpark/Propeller.sch

and here is a PDF of it:

http://www.leonheller.com/DesignSpark/P ... matic).pdf

I'll create the PCB tomorrow.
By leon_heller
Yes, one can either output to the Windows printer or a PDF. It saves having to install something like PrimoPDF as a virtual printer. It's not all that long since I had to print to a file using a Postscript printer driver, then convert the PS file to a PDF.
By rrpilot
Thanks Leon for the post, this piece of software looks very promising. Looking forward to test driving it..