SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Sloucher
I think I've accidentally stumbled across an answer to this problem. I don't know about the previous posters, but I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and like the posters before, I had the issue of libraries and library folders that I had created in Eagle being invisible in Windows Explorer.

However, when opening one of my "empty" library folders (Computer/Local Disk C:/Program Files/Eagle 6.5.5/lbr/My Collection/ in my case), I noticed in the menu bar of the explorer window the legend "Compatibility files". Out of desperation, I clicked it and lo and behold - there are all my missing .lbr files on display!

I can double click them, to start Eagle Control Panel and the library editor, copy them or just about anything else with them meaning I can move them to an always visible folder.

I believe this to be an XP legacy thing. I'm used to programs having to run in compatibility mode under Windows 7, but this is the first time I've come across individual folders/files with this attribute.

Hope that helps
By Ross Robotics
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and have no problems running Eagle or being able to see folders/files. I have some programs that are 10+ years old and are not running under compatibility mode..
By chichara
Hi all,

Sorry if i got wrong thread. But i wan't to ask, how can i find ICM 7217 in eagle?
I really need it to design my schematic for counter.

Thanks.
By Ross Robotics
I found it with the search function. Another hint would be, who is it made by?
By uChip
Hmmm, thanks for reviving this thread. I've been annoyed by the mystery libraries for quite a while. I just tried Sloucher's trick and was finally able to make them visible and remove them. Thank you!

- Chip
By InactiveUser001
As has been said - the best way of handling your own library is to keep it out of the applications folders and in your own set of library folders so that it is not removed etc when the program is removed.

Some of the Windows Explorer settings are to not hidden files nor show extensions for files that have known extensions.
I get this often with the software I support, for those of us that want to know where our files are this level of user protection gets annoying so I always reset it to my preference.

Using Windows Explorer browse to your install folder, at the top left pick "organize" then from that "folder options".
On the "view" tab select the following needs to be enabled: "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
And disable this: "Hide extensions for known file types".
You can also deselect "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" when searching for files but remember to re enable it later to prevent accidental OS file deletion.

Click on "Apply to folders" at the top to apply to the folder, it should also work on the sub directories then hit OK.
By chichara
Ya, i don't find it with the search function.
So, i tried to take a look into maxim.lbr and find it. :)
By Ross Robotics
The search function is useless without using * in your search. Example: *7217* The * is a wildcard.
By MonkeyEngineer
I'm not sure what happened. All of a sudden when I right-clicked on an item in the schematic and tried to <Open Device> or <Open Symbol> I started getting the same error.

I deduced that my problem was isolated to the library files that resided in subfolders.
This solution worked for me.

In the Control Panel window click <Options | Directories>.
The top entry is for Libraries.
The default entry is: $EAGLEDIR\lbr. Click in the Libraries entry box then click <Browse...>
Drop down into the \lbr folder and select the library subfolder you want included and click <Select Folder>.
You will see that subfolder added to the Libraries path.
Click <OK> then click <File | Save All> from the Control Panel.
Now return to your schematic and try again.

Good luck,

John Buckley
The John B. Pierce Laboratory
New Haven, CT