SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By davethomaspilot
I've never assembled a pcb other than by hand soldering. So, I used big enough components spaced far enough apart to make that feasible. This time, I'm going to have to use a reflow technique.

I'm anxiously awaiting for my pcb to be shipped by BatchPcb and need to order paste and dispenser tools. I don't think I want to mess with a stencil, since I'l probably just be doing one or two boards.

Is there a place where I can get a good paste, syringe, needle, i.e., one stop shopping for everything I need for hand dispensing solder paste?

I saw an earlier post on this forumn that make me think dispensing with a syringe might not be all that easy, yet I've seen tutorials and videos that make it look simple. So, I was hoping someone would recommend tools that are know to work (and a place to buy them).

I'll be using a hot plate.

Thanks,

Dave Thomas
By davethomaspilot
Thanks, but I should have said in US.

Dave Thomas
By MichaelN
I prefer solder paste stencils (eg Oharap's Kapton stencils), but have had good results using the "needles" from inkjet refilling kits. They are a lot larger bore than normal hyperdermic needles. Small syringes (eg 2cc or 5cc) allow a reasonable amount of pressure to be applied.

I just got some of this solder paste (shipped from Hong Kong), and it works well (and cheap - only $3.57 inc shipping):
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4711

I didn't have any of the issues some of the reviewers reported...
By theatrus
You can get blunt needle tips from SmallParts. Get a variety of sizes to see what works best - I personally use 16-20 gauge.
By macegr
Jameco has a paste, syringe, needle, and plunger kit for $20:
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Id=2098208

That's a decent deal for the tools plus 35g of paste. It will last a long time.

I also use the super cheap Dealextreme paste, along with some of their super cheap hypodermic syringes with their "injecting pinheads" instead of the tiny metal needle. However you very likely will need to thin out the Dealextreme paste with liquid flux in order to use it with a needle or a stencil, so every batch ends up a different consistency. Fine for hand built work though.
By davethomaspilot
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I saw several reviews on the Dealextreme paste indicating that the paste must be thinned to be useable. So, I'd have to figure how/where to get the thinner if I went that route.

I'm really stupid about the syringes the paste is shipped with. If I get a blunt needle with a "Luer" hub, will that fit? Or will I need something else.

The Jameco kit seems attractive, since I really just want to make sure I get everything I need to get the job done, instead of getting stuff then realizing I need something else. Except I can't tell what size needle it has. If I separately order a couple of needles, will they likely fit the syringe.

Dave Thomas
By TheDirty
I use the DX paste and it works fine. I would think the only reason you would need to thin it is if you want to use it with a needle. I use it un-thinned, but I haven't used a needle, yet. I think it would be fine as is with a template. I've just been using some clipped leads to extract a bit a spread it where it's needed, but I only use it on parts that I need to use it on like QFN's. I don't do a lot of boards and I can do 0805's and such quick with an iron.

If you want to thin it, you just use standard flux and mix it in.

For this, I used it for the two chips only. Ones a QFN, the other is called something else, but it's essentially a long QFN.

By noptical
what can be used as a thinner for the paste?
By leon_heller
99% IPA worked very well when I tried it.
By MichaelN
Have a look at the comments on the dealextreme link I sent previously. Several people suggest this flux to thin the solderpaste:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20583

When I used the paste with a stencil I didn't need to thin it, but the weather was pretty warm on the day I did it. In any case, you'll want some flux for SMD work, and that stuff seems to work pretty well.
By macegr
I'd use that flux if I wanted to thicken the paste. That's a sticky rosin-based flux, not a liquid flux. I guess you could use some 99% alcohol to thin the flux first, but you might as well directly add the alcohol to the solder paste. I've tried it both ways. Too much flux in the solder paste will make it pop and crackle too much during heating and bounce your small components off the pads.

The flux itself is good though, I'd recommend picking up a few tubes if you're already ordering paste. Don't forget SKU 21947 and SKU 21573 as well, and some 6238 and 19919.
By davethomaspilot
Ok, did the dealextreme thing, picked up the suggested extra items.

The prices seem almost too good to be true. And free shpping!

I ended buying a bunch of stuff.

Is the iso alcohol you can buy anywhere 99%, or is that special stuff?

Thanks,

Dave Thomas
By theatrus
davethomaspilot wrote:Ok, did the dealextreme thing, picked up the suggested extra items.

The prices seem almost too good to be true. And free shpping!

I ended buying a bunch of stuff.

Is the iso alcohol you can buy anywhere 99%, or is that special stuff?

Thanks,

Dave Thomas
DealExtreme free shipping is slow - you'll be waiting about 3 weeks usually :-)

Finding 99% in an average store is harder, 90% can be found in most drug stores. Remember that alcohol is hygroscopic - if left open or exposed to air it will convert into about 70%.
By TheDirty
DX is addictive. Get magnifiers and tweezers from there as well.

This magnifying lens is tinier than it seems, but is really nice and clear.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22831

Another one is focalprice.com Less electronics stuff, but I just got a big board of single sided copper clad from there and it looks pretty nice. Haven't cut it up yet, though.
http://www.focalprice.com/CX069Y/Electr ... ellow.html

DX takes about 2 weeks for me. Focalprice took like 3 and a half weeks, but it might be because I ordered over the new year.