SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By russosv
You guys are awesome, thank you for the tips! MichaelN, I will definitely try the smaller parts eventually. I'd love to try the skillet or hot air gun but I'm afraid I can't right now, I'm sure my fiancee would not approve! :) I may be stretching it with even the soldering iron and the tiny electronic parts everywhere. She didnt know what she was getting into... LOL!

zarcondeegrissom, awesome tip! I will see if I can move that trace and re-post.
I read that your dealing without a solder mask, so I understand the "Floating" copper areas between stuff. I'd try to find a way to ground them with more clearance, or remove the free floating tiny antennas/tuning forks. example under the "0.1" label for C3 I think.
I think BatchPCB does provide a soldermask, but I would definitely rather be safe than sorry. You guys are the experts so I'm glad to have all the advice I can get.

The part provided in Eagle for the mini usb didnt have a connection to ground for the case, but I'm sure that's not necessarily proof that you don't have to ground it.
To ground loop, or not to ground loop, that is the question... lol
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you guys mean by "ground loop" used as a verb? :oops: The one time I encountered that term was when I installed an aux input in my car stereo system. When I try to charge it at the same time as I play it through the aux in, I get noise. From what I understood their grounds are at different potentials, causing extra noise in the system. You could use an isolation transformer to eliminate this problem. I think this was a 1:1 transformer that decoupled the aux input.

I looked it up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

This isolation transformer also mentions ground loops:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3085
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, just trying to learn.

Also: I partially populated the second copy of the original circuit board i had created, but this time added a 33uF decoupling capacitor between Vdd and Vss, and the USB seems to work fine now. As someone had said earlier, even though it was suboptimal it should still work... well it does seem to work. Haven't added back in the FT232RL yet though; hopefully that will not cause any problems.
By MichaelN
I've never heard "ground loop" used as a verb before, but I think what he's saying is that there are trade-offs to be made when deciding whether to connect the shield at both ends.

I have noticed that most modern AV gear (DVD players, amplifiers etc) seems to connect the shield of audio and video cables to the chassis of the equipment, which gives much better shielding than only connecting it at one end. To remove the ground loop, this equipment is normally "double insulated" - ie the metal chassis is NOT connected to mains earth. Seems like a safety issue to me, but most companies seem to do it this way...

Differential signals (USB, Ethernet etc), are tolerant to the common mode voltage on the signal, and the benefit of improved EMC performance will often outweigh the disadvantages of common mode voltage / currents in the shield.
By zarcondeegrissom
To ground loop, or not to ground loop, that is the question... lol
Yes MichaelN, and as a little bit of a Shakespearean like joke.

Ground loops are just something to keep in the back of your mind, when dealing with higher then audio frequency stuff. Wide loops, in the shape of open center rectangles/squares, ovals, or circles, make ring/loop antennas. think of that round metal thing sticking out of the back of some of the old TV's between the bunny-ear antennas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_antenna
By russosv
Thanks again, all... I got most of the original circuit board running, except for the FT232RL-- which I [wrongfully] assumed was a no-brainer. I thought it should be just as easy to use than a MAX232, which is what I was using on my breadboard. TX->RX, and RX->TX... Not even a level conversion. How much easier could you get? I'm confounded. Basically followed the data sheet.

The computer recognized it but for some reason it kept freezing the microcontroller upon transmit/receive.

It may have very well been the firmware-- I'm not sure-- but I think before I send in this design, I might home etch a breakout board for the FT232RL to work out my issues.

Thanks again, you guys are geniuses! You've helped me identify some good things to look for when I do send in my design :)
By russosv
Update: it was my firmware after all. I should have spent more time with the software.. Instead I destroyed the prototype boards I had from over working them. :lol:

In any case, I've sent in the designs for the new board you guys helped me with. Hopefully I'll have the boards shortly.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

--

http://fieldeffect.info/w/usbtoserial
By dap20
HI russo, its 2012 long since this post but now I am having your problem with the oscillator, did you solve your problem? did your circuit work good with your new PCB design?

thanks.
By bamboosamurai
lol Move the crystal closer. CLOSER!

* I would us an SMD Crystal w/caps, much easier, and much nicer looking. Plus you dont need to add the caps.
* Add two FIDUCIALs on kitty corners.
Library: SparkFun
Package: FIDUCIAL-1X2.5
* Fix all "top left" of the tracks leading to acute angles.
* Add another .1uF to the bottom/right of the micro, VCC.
By russosv
bamboosamurai wrote:lol Move the crystal closer. CLOSER!

* I would us an SMD Crystal w/caps, much easier, and much nicer looking. Plus you dont need to add the caps.
* Add two FIDUCIALs on kitty corners.
Library: SparkFun
Package: FIDUCIAL-1X2.5
* Fix all "top left" of the tracks leading to acute angles.
* Add another .1uF to the bottom/right of the micro, VCC.
I haven't had time for any of this stuff for probably a year and a half now... thanks for the tips though! If I ever get time to get back to electronics I will definitely take this into account.