SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By bkaplan
I have a new Eagle pcb board for GPS MN1010 and CMOS TCM8230.

I have put the components and tried to get images and datas. Boards are working properly!!! I someone wants to get, please contact to.

[img]http://C:\Users\Burkan%20KAPLAN\Pictures\Resimlerim\boards\CMOS-TCM%208230[/img]

[img]http://C:\Users\Burkan%20KAPLAN\Pictures\Resimlerim\boards\gpsMN1010[/img]
By theatrus
We can't access your hard drive. I would suggest posting images of the board on a site like imgur.com and then link them here.
By bkaplan
Hi theatrus

You are right. I will post my card pictures on the site you have written.
I want to solder the components on the board and take new pictures with all components on it. By saturday, I will have got the parts and finished soldering process. Then I will post them all...Thank you...
By mkmckenzie
Nice board. I'm just starting to setup a proto board for this camera. I'm curious... Are you level-shifting SDA/SCL from 2.8v IOVDD to something higher for your MCU (e.g. 3.3v) or just going to try to operate through the mismatch? Or, are you using 3.3v IOVDD like some others I've seen in the forums?

PS, I really wish SFE had offered a (loaded) breakout board for this guy.
By bkaplan
Hi

Thanks. You are right. I have ordered the level shifter PCA9306 Texas Instruments Dual Bidirectional I2C Bus Voltage Level Translator on my final board. This board that I shared here is a prototype board. So at that time, I have bought MOSFET 2SK3977 and BS188 (I am not sure the exact name) to put them on breadboard. I am going to try the connection by these MosfetS. By the way, I am going to use a fast MCU dsPIC33FJ64GP802. (3.3v)

As you know, the external clock is necessary about 25 MHz square wave ptp 2.8V. I have obtained a oscillator to give it but it gives a very noisy and unlike square shape signal. Do you have a different suggestion for the oscillator?

I have extra these boards naked without components. If you need it, I can send you. Regards
By mkmckenzie
I plan to drive the EXTCLK from my 32MHz MCU (XMEGA) at half-rate: 16MHz. I don't need 30fps, and I think this will get me plenty of image data. I went ahead and got level shifters for both the I2C lines and the EXTCLK and RESET lines: MAX3378. I'm worried though, because their typical timing specs are a little too close for comfort to the camera's requirements.

After examining the interface circuits in the datasheet, I see that I could drive RESET without level shifting if I go Hi-Z on the MCU's output pin instead of going high (3.3v), changing the MCU's pin between output-low to input to assert and de-assert RESET respectively. As far as I can tell (not a professional), the EXTCLK could be driven with 3.3v, but it will cause significantly increased and unbalanced power consumption. Might this lead to overheating and/or poor performance? Might this cause the magic smoke to come out? Don't ask me.
By KreAture
For anyone still working with this camera.
To avoid noise on your pictures make sure to level-convert the EXTCLK input.
Also add a R/C filter to drop a bit of harmonics but not too much as you need to give it sharp enough flanks to satisfy the 5ns max rise/falltimes.
For better noise immunity also use seperate regulators for VDDIO and PVDD even though they run on same voltage.