SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By busonerd
Hi All,

I'm working on getting a new rev of the DRC bot code that is in use at sparkfun into shape for an open source release and I need gerbers to do tests on!

I'm looking for gerbers, optionally with drill files, from any cad package. The more exotic, the better! A screenshot of what the board looks like in your CAD package would be great to ensure that I'm not missing anything / parsing anything wrong.

If anyone has any gerbers they wouldn't mind letting me use, they would be much appreciated. At your option; I can either keep your gerbers confidential and only use them in my own testing / regression tests, or I can add them to the public regression tests that will be in the repository, with credit to you.

With regards to the open source release; I hope to fix a few of the long standing bugs by moving from a "polygon-distance" DRC model to polygon expansion and overlap testing model. This should also be able to fix the incredibly irritating "aperture too small when large area stroked with small aperture" bug that currently exists.

The gerberDRCV2 codebase is written in C++, with python bindings written using boost::python, and will be released under the GPLV2. Eventually I'd like to expand the DRC capabilities to take into account the drillfile, and IPC-D-356 verification to ensure the computed netlist from the board matches the desired netlist. Also eventually possible is automated netlist extraction, and automatic 3d model creation for use in enclosure design. [Automated footprint overlay would also be pretty slick; that with component centroid data export from your CAD package and some export tools would allow automated pick and place data generation].

Anyhow, if anyone has gerbers they wouldn't mind donating, shoot me an email at davidcarne at gmail dot com or post in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

--David Carne
By propellanttech
busonerd wrote:Hi All,

I'm working on getting a new rev of the DRC bot code that is in use at sparkfun into shape for an open source release and I need gerbers to do tests on!

I'm looking for gerbers, optionally with drill files, from any cad package. The more exotic, the better! A screenshot of what the board looks like in your CAD package would be great to ensure that I'm not missing anything / parsing anything wrong.

If anyone has any gerbers they wouldn't mind letting me use, they would be much appreciated. At your option; I can either keep your gerbers confidential and only use them in my own testing / regression tests, or I can add them to the public regression tests that will be in the repository, with credit to you.

With regards to the open source release; I hope to fix a few of the long standing bugs by moving from a "polygon-distance" DRC model to polygon expansion and overlap testing model. This should also be able to fix the incredibly irritating "aperture too small when large area stroked with small aperture" bug that currently exists.

The gerberDRCV2 codebase is written in C++, with python bindings written using boost::python, and will be released under the GPLV2. Eventually I'd like to expand the DRC capabilities to take into account the drillfile, and IPC-D-356 verification to ensure the computed netlist from the board matches the desired netlist. Also eventually possible is automated netlist extraction, and automatic 3d model creation for use in enclosure design. [Automated footprint overlay would also be pretty slick; that with component centroid data export from your CAD package and some export tools would allow automated pick and place data generation].

Anyhow, if anyone has gerbers they wouldn't mind donating, shoot me an email at davidcarne at gmail dot com or post in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

--David Carne
Dave,

I am using Diptrace, and can shoot you over some gerbers if you want.

James L
By busonerd
James,

Diptrace gerbers would be great. If you'd like to keep them confidential, feel free to email them directly and I'll make sure they never leave my laptop.

Also - you have a few pick-n-place machines, right? If you're interested in working with me on design flow from CAD -> pick-n-place datafile, let me know. Thats something I'm interested in adding to this package in the future. I'd write all the software - I just need someone to test the files / supply example files for each model I'll support.

--David Carne
By propellanttech
busonerd wrote:James,

Diptrace gerbers would be great. If you'd like to keep them confidential, feel free to email them directly and I'll make sure they never leave my laptop.

Also - you have a few pick-n-place machines, right? If you're interested in working with me on design flow from CAD -> pick-n-place datafile, let me know. Thats something I'm interested in adding to this package in the future. I'd write all the software - I just need someone to test the files / supply example files for each model I'll support.

--David Carne
Dave,

No problem on the security. Most of the gerbers I would send are out of date, and would be worthless if anyone used them (unless they like fixing traces and such).

We do have a Pick & Place machine, but some of the information would be somewhat useless. But I can give you some examples of files which we import to the machine. The actual file the machine uses is pretty complex, and I do not have all the information to justify all the commands (it is not G-code or anything that simple). It is proprietary, and we don't even have that information, and do not have any ambition to figure it out.

Most assemblers use a CSV file with some standard columns. We would be very interested in a possible output of fiducials if you could accomplish it.

I'll email you the gerbers now.

James L
By felis
busonerd wrote: I'm looking for gerbers, optionally with drill files, from any cad package.
My projects are online here -> http://www.circuitsathome.com/downloads , gerbers plus eagles. They are not too exotic though and all have passed current DRC bot at first try.
By busonerd
Thanks felis + propellanttech! I've been able to squash a few bugs.

If anyone is interested in seeing the new output, check out http://david.carne.ca/layers.png. [Rendered from eagle hexapod example gerbers].

I'm looking for some Protel / Pads / Orcad gerbers. Anyone have any that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers,

--David Carne
By propellanttech
busonerd wrote:Thanks felis + propellanttech! I've been able to squash a few bugs.

If anyone is interested in seeing the new output, check out http://david.carne.ca/layers.png. [Rendered from eagle hexapod example gerbers].

I'm looking for some Protel / Pads / Orcad gerbers. Anyone have any that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers,

--David Carne
Dave,

Sent you some other gerbers earlier.

Also, if you would like to discuss P&P output, we could. It is not going to be easy, mainly because gerbers typically do not have part center data. There would be some kind of engine which deciphers where a part center is. But if you are up to the chore, we could possibly do something.

Also...some how a period got in the hyperlink.....it should be

http://david.carne.ca/layers.png

James L
By Alan Chatham
Hello,

I've made up a couple of pretty simple boards for this guitar project I'm working on, made in the open-source program KiCad, and I've got the Gerber files it's outputted. You can find them at
http://code.google.com/p/openchord-guit ... unk/V1/PCB

Hope they help! Along with them, in the PCB directories, are svg graphics showing how the board is supposed to look..
By gussy
I have plenty of gerbers to share. Very interested in the gerberDRCV2 software as well.

PM me an email to send them through on.
By gussy
David, could you please give me some pointers on getting DRCBotV2 to build?

I'm running a bare install of Debian and not exactly sure of all the components I need installed to build.
By gussy
(Server gives errors posting messages over 200 chars so I can't post errors here.)

Any tips on what I need to installed (like boost_python/python_config?) would be much appreciated.
By busonerd
Regarding dependancies: you need libPNG, zlib, libjpeg, libfreetype, pycairo and networkx. For the C libraries, you also need the -dev packages, which contain headers.

Sorry for missing your posts earlier - you can reach me at davidcarne at gmail.com if you run into more issues building it, or davidc__ on freenode for realtime help ;).

--David Carne
By mgdaubo
Hi all,
Is anyone still working on this DRCbotV2 project? I am trying to compile to see how it functions, but I am getting lots of errors.
- Try to compile _gerber_drc.so and run it with python test code, I got error "undefined symbol" in _gerber_drc.so.
- Try to compile main cpp source, I got errors related to plot_vector and graphic functions.
I guess these errors related to some library mismatch since this source code is quite old.

Can anybody give some hints how to compile and run a simple example?

Sorry for recalling this old topic.
Thank you very much.