SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By static
Hi

1. How can i copy a part from schematic in one file to another different schematic file? Same for .brd files - i.e a part of board layout - is it possible in eagle?

2. I see one can export a list of all parts used in schematic, but is it possible to have something like:

resistor 1k x5
resistor 5k x2

as opposed to

resistor 1k
resistor 1k
resistor 1k

resistor 5k

i.e can it group same parts and just give quantity?

Cheers
Alex
By Jay C
1. Just use the copy command. If you have multiple parts, use the group, then do a group copy. Open up your new schematic and paste :)

Can't help with the second one.

Jay
By bigglez
static wrote: 2. I see one can export a list of all parts used in schematic, but is it possible to have something like:

resistor 1k x5
resistor 5k x2

as opposed to

resistor 1k
resistor 1k
resistor 1k

resistor 5k
Only if you reformat the text files. Either by hand
or by writting macros for you favourite word processor.

Its possible that you can get a different format
directly from EAGLE by writting a script to run
inside EAGLE.

Why do you need to concatenate the BOM data?
Most assembly houses will want each component's
data on a separate line to drive the pick and
place machine.
By Shifted
In the command line area type the following:

run bom.ulp

It will print up an HTML or TXT file pretty much exactly how you want it, in the options at the bottom just select Values instead of names.
By Andrew02E
Eagle's Cut/Copy/Paste commands don't follow the typical Windows cut & paste idea very well. To copy from one board/schematic to another, you actually need to use the Cut command. Use the Group tool to select the parts, nets, wires, etc. that you want to copy. Then hit Cut (the scissors button). Switch to the destination board/schematic and hit Paste (the glue-looking button). You'll be able to place the stuff where you want it.
If you're pasting to a board and you have the respective schematic open, you'll probably get a 'Cannot backannotate' error. If you close the schematic, you can paste onto the board, but you will lose consistancy between the board and schematic (which is a serious pain). It is possible to work around this, but it's more work than it's worth, IMHO. Copying and pasting to a schematic is much easier.