SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By theatrus
It looks ok, if +5V is coming from the board. The 10megaOhm resistor is somewhat pointless here - either depopulate or replace it with a 0-ohm bridge.

Did you build this from the reference designs in the FTDI datasheet?
By Philba
Does the ftdi drive the serial I/O at TTL or RS232 levels. I was under the impression that it's TTL so it would need, at the least, inversion. probably easier to stick a max232 or similar on to it.
By theatrus
Philba wrote:Does the ftdi drive the serial I/O at TTL or RS232 levels. I was under the impression that it's TTL so it would need, at the least, inversion. probably easier to stick a max232 or similar on to it.
CMOS levels, but serial doesn't imply RS232 (unless thats what the original poster wanted :)).
By Philba
theatrus wrote:
Philba wrote:Does the ftdi drive the serial I/O at TTL or RS232 levels. I was under the impression that it's TTL so it would need, at the least, inversion. probably easier to stick a max232 or similar on to it.
CMOS levels, but serial doesn't imply RS232 (unless thats what the original poster wanted :)).
original poster wrote:After building the board I cannot get the PC to detect the adapter.
You tell me...
By weinerschizel
FTDI is TTL Serial to PC USB port.

I based the circuit off the arduino schematic. I'm using +5V from the PC's USB port to power the board.

Thanks.
By JamesK
weinerschizel wrote:FTDI is TTL Serial to PC USB port.

I based the circuit off the arduino schematic. I'm using +5V from the PC's USB port to power the board.

Thanks.
Through a 10M resistor?