SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By crocu
Hello

I would like to built a 18F97J60 board, but this Pic is TQFT 100 package and not easy to solder on a home made board without special SMT tools. ( too thin pins )

Is there some adaptors available on the market for this package, or maybe a way build home made board with that Pic ?

Your experience will be much appreciated,
By Shifted
TQFP can be soldered by hand, spark fun has a great SMD soldering tutorial in their tutorials section.

We solder 208 pin PQFP with fine pitch by using a hot air rework machine where I work, we've soldered 144 pin TQFP's by hand with a fine tip solder iron on occasion.
By henryhallam
You don't even need a fine-tipped soldering iron, any iron will do. You just need solder and desoldering braid. Flux helps. A good magnifying glass or microscope is almost essential.

Apply flux. Position the chip correctly (the hard part). Using two pairs of tweezers and some kind of hands-free magnifying device is the best way. Optionally tack one corner pin down with solder. Cover one whole row of pins with lots o' solder. Repeat for the other 4 rows, then use braid to remove it, leaving a nicely soldered chip! Inspect with the magnifying glass for shorts and open pins (poke each pin with tweezers, if it moves it's not soldered).

On the other hand, removing a TQFP without hot air or IR is very difficult.
By leon_heller
Removing chips is very easy with ChipQuik.

Leon
By crocu
Ok for soldering method, but how should i get a PCB with such thin wires without PCB machine ?

is it possible to make it at home ?

I often make home PCBs but with regular components, not SMT ...
By leon_heller
I don't have a problem making PCBs for fine-pitch devices.

Leon
By crocu
You must be very experienced, i guess UV exposition must be well calculated, isn't it ?

is there 100% fully working method to succeed with thin PCB wires ?
By Philba
there are a number of web sites that can take you through making PCBs at home. There are two ways people use:
- photo exposure
- toner transfer
photo will get you finer lines and I know people have done QFNs that way. Toner transfer is a bit harder to get to work for fine pitch but it is possible.

I suggest you use google...
By leon_heller
Once the process is optimised it works every time.

Leon
By crocu
This a very good board,

would you please accept to share the PCB template ?
By Philba
winston wrote:I use toner transfer for home made PCBs.

Here is a picture of a breakout board I made for a TQFP-100:

http://spectrum.alioth.net/doc/images/2 ... eakout.jpg

The decoupling capacitors are 0603 size, also hand soldered.
Nice work Winston. Xilinx says to use 4 layer boards but your's is obviously 2 layer (at most). Have you had any problems from that?
By silic0re
Also, thought I'd jump in here to note something I've had lots of success with. If you'd rather spend the $5 on a complete breakout board with soldermask and a ground plane, instead of copper clad, toner transfers, and etching chemicals, I've had a lot of luck with Schmartboards:

http://www.schmartboard.com/

They have boards for many parts in many pitches, and have even started making BGA breakouts recently. I have used their normal, cheaper boards (not the EZ ones) with a little bit of solder paste, and it works like a dream.
By leon_heller
CPLDs will generally work OK on single-sided boards. I often use them on similar home-made PCBs. It depends on the speed and what is on the outputs.

Leon
By crocu
Thank you very much silic0re for this link.

It is exactly what i'm looking for .
However, board cost about 9$ and shipping cost ~ 75 $ for France !
Is there a cheaper place to order ?

For now, i need to find a hand soldering method for SMT
What will you suggest me to get best results : iron, if so which one ?

or maybe hot air station ( much expensive )

Many thanks for your experience,