SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Chupa
This has been buggin me for a while. When making a custom part in eagle how do you make 2 or more pins with the same name? IE I have a part with 5 GND pins. Instead of doing GND1 GND2 etc. I would like to just name them all GND.
By Shifted
From the Eagle 5.2 help file:
Pins with the same Name
If it is required to define several pins in a component with the same name, the following procedure can be used:
For example, suppose that three pins are required for GND. The pins are allocated the names GND@1, GND@2 and GND@3 during the symbol definition. Then only the characters before the "@" sign appear in the schematic.
It is not possible to add or delete pins in symbols which are already used by a device because this would change the pin/pad allocation defined with the CONNECT command.
By Chupa
Thankyou much! The help dosent seem to work in vista :-/
By Chupa
Oh! im using eagle 4.16r2 :-/
no wonder it wasn't working.
By Shifted
The 4.16r2 help file says the same thing from what I can see, are you saying the help file doesn't work, or the pin naming doesn't work?
By Chupa
you cant open the help in vista, but thats expected.

Ive tried using @ and $ but the pin names still show up as VCC$1, VCC$2... etc. or VCC@1, VCC@2. So the pin naming doesn't seem to work as described.
By Shifted
Does it work in other predefined library parts? Perhaps you can open/edit one of the working parts in another library to verify how to do it...
By Chupa
ok! i did just that and it seems that you use the @ but the catch is you must leave one of the pins with the base name with no extension. IE. GND, GND@1, GND@2, etc. Seems to work fine! thanks!
By Andrew02E
That may have been changed in later versions of Eagle. I'm using 5.2 right now and I can name pins GND@1, GND@2, etc. without having a pin named GND and it works fine.
By Lucien
You can do that in 4.16r2 as well. I use GND@1, GND@2... etc without any pin named just GND and it works fine.