SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By MrPotatoHead
To the Eagle experts,

Can you have multiple schematic sheets for one project? If so, how do link them together. I have a big design to layout.

I know that better layout tools allow this. If it was under 1k, I would probably buy Pulsonix.

Thanks

- joe Y.
By leon_heller
EasyPC supports multiple sheets and is about the same price as Eagle:

http://www.numberone.com/

It's from the same company as Pulsonix.

Leon
By Philba
The free version of eagle is limited to 1 schematic sheet.

There is a non-profit version that goes for $125. It has limitations on board size (160mm x 100mm) and signal layers (4) but doesn't seem to limit the number of schematic sheets. You aren't supposed to use it for professional uses.
By MrPotatoHead
I forgot to mention this. I have the professional version of Eagle.
By Philba
sheesh, minor omission.

From eagle's help: "The combo box in the action toolbar of the schematic editor window allows you to switch between the various sheets of the schematic, or to add new sheets to the schematic (this can also be done using the EDIT command). "
By MrPotatoHead
it took me half an hour to figure out what the combo box was. i feel a little dense.

thanks folks
By khearn
Don't feel too bad. Eagle's user interface takes some getting used to. It doesn't follow the "normal" paradigms. But once you're used to it it's not too bad.

Keith
By Philba
well, to be more precise, eagle doesn't follow windows paradigms. Who is to say what's normal. Eagle has a modal interface. You set a mode (say "drop resistor" or "mirror") and can apply that as many times as you wish. It actually is pretty efficient. For example, the windows way to name things would be to select item, apply name function. In eagle, you select name mode and apply it to any number of items. The eagle way is quite a bit faster when dealing with multiple items.

eagle does have it's inconsistencies but I've come to appreciate some of it's UI. I still think the cut and paste approach is just plain bone headed, though.
By bigglez
Greetings Phil,
Philba wrote:eagle does have it's inconsistencies but I've come to appreciate some of it's UI. I still think the cut and paste approach is just plain bone headed, though.
How so?

Comments Welcome!
By bigglez
Greetings Leon,
leon_heller wrote:EasyPC supports multiple sheets and is about the same price as Eagle It's from the same company as Pulsonix.
MrPotatoHead wrote:To the Eagle experts
Are you so keen to post OT (and about your choice in
CAD tools) that you just can't help yourself?

Comments Welcome!
By leon_heller
He said that Pulsonix was too expensive for him so I suggested EasyPC, which shares many of the same features.

I was actually addressing his statement about Pulsonix, not the question about Eagle. How is that OT?

Leon
By MrPotatoHead
leon_heller wrote:How is that OT?
I didn't think it was.

I'll check out EasyPC in the fall. I imagine I'll have some questions. No money for new toys this season. I'm throwing all my extra money at a vehicle loan right now. Debt just bugs me.
By bigglez
leon_heller wrote:I was actually addressing his statement about Pulsonix, not the question about Eagle. How is that OT?
Do a search on this group for "leon" and "Pulsonix"...

I noticed that anytime a PCB CAD tool question comes up you
chime in with how wonderful your CAD tool selection was,
how easy it is to use, and how you invented a user's group
for your tool choice.

All that may be true but the Op is an EAGLE user, looking for
EAGLE help, from EAGLE experts (whatever that means).

Perhaps you should be reading along instead of jumping in
with Pulsonix/EasyPC propaganda?

Just one person's opinion...
By leon_heller
The OP seems to disagree with you.

Leon
By bigglez
Leon,
leon_heller wrote:The OP seems to disagree with you.
I wouldn't doubt many (including the OP) disagree with me.
If I may, I've made my point about your passion for a specific
CADtool.

Now, you may have the last word.