SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By viscaria
I am working on a circuit design that needs to fit inside of an iPod dock connector. This puts the dimensions well below 1" by 1". I think I will use BatchPCB for the prototype, but if it works I may be making several dozen more, and at that rate BatchPCB stops being such a good deal. Gold Phoenix would be my next choice, but they have a minimum size of 1x 1.2 inches. This seems odd since BatchPCB uses Gold Phoenix and allows sub 1" sizes.
By Philba
are you making a number of them? My guess is that GP doesn't want to physically handle small boards but if you panelize a number of them, they may V score them so you can snap them apart yourself.
By propellanttech
Philba wrote:are you making a number of them? My guess is that GP doesn't want to physically handle small boards but if you panelize a number of them, they may V score them so you can snap them apart yourself.
GP will only v-score up to 20 times for free, then they start charging.

Just for reference.

James L
By viscaria
Thanks, any idea what the additional charge is for more v scores? Also, what about routing? I might need an odd shape (depending upon which connector type I use). GP's routing abitlities are part of the reason I am considering them.
By propellanttech
viscaria wrote:Thanks, any idea what the additional charge is for more v scores? Also, what about routing? I might need an odd shape (depending upon which connector type I use). GP's routing abitlities are part of the reason I am considering them.
I really don't know much about their extra charges, nor their routing.

It would be best to contact them to see.

James L
By gussy
propellanttech wrote:
Philba wrote:are you making a number of them? My guess is that GP doesn't want to physically handle small boards but if you panelize a number of them, they may V score them so you can snap them apart yourself.

Just for reference.

James L
Not for me they don't.

I have a board which is about 7x50mm and they just send me whole panels of them and I snap them apart.

However if they are doing assembly them they have no issues snapping them apart :D
By propellanttech
gussy wrote:
propellanttech wrote:

Just for reference.

James L
Not for me they don't.

I have a board which is about 7x50mm and they just send me whole panels of them and I snap them apart.

However if they are doing assembly them they have no issues snapping them apart :D
Hmmm....learned something new. Thanks for sharing.

James L
By gussy
Not sure if you have to be a "good customer", but it shouldn't matter really.

Shane just told me they couldn't de-panelized them on their side and said I would need to do it, so I said sure why not :)

Off topic but I think the $30 multi design is a bit rich, especially when you have to supply the panelized gerbers yourself, so all they are doing is a normal board with another cut...
By Philba
gussy, are you happy with GP in general? any tips on how to get the best performance from them would be greatly appreciated.
By propellanttech
gussy wrote:Not sure if you have to be a "good customer", but it shouldn't matter really.

Shane just told me they couldn't de-panelized them on their side and said I would need to do it, so I said sure why not :)

Off topic but I think the $30 multi design is a bit rich, especially when you have to supply the panelized gerbers yourself, so all they are doing is a normal board with another cut...
I wish Shane would answer emails, but he doesn't seem to answer emails that do not include gerbers.

James L
By Peufeu
Olimex will do this and cut the boards for you.
By gussy
Philba wrote:gussy, are you happy with GP in general? any tips on how to get the best performance from them would be greatly appreciated.
Very good. Shane takes a beating from me sometimes. Most of the problems I have is getting components to them, from other suppliers. Best way to fix that is to get everything sent to you and send it all off in the one hit.

Also, their "special" prices are on-going, they always say "expires <insert this month>" but they have been like that for 2 years now.
propellanttech wrote:I wish Shane would answer emails, but he doesn't seem to answer emails that do not include gerbers.
He always answers my emails :S
By macegr
OurPCB.com is really really cheap if you want to do a lot of something. I just had 150 boards made that were under 0.8" square (DS, DSS, PTH). The per unit cost was something like 9 cents. However, add to that a $50 setup fee and whatever shipping ends up being. I was having them assemble boards, so I don't know if they would have cut the boards apart anyway, but everything arrived separated and I never saw a cut fee.

I hear they have issues doing multiple designs per panel, so this is probably a good option only if you want the same thing in large quantities.
By elabudde
Hi all, customPCB.com will use eagle files directly and will panelize for free. Cutouts are $0.50 each. Cost for about 40 boards would be about $52+40x.5=$72.00, Regards, Ed.
By torontogeek
I used to use GP, but found that they were a bit inflexible and quality control was poor, so I have ended up using http://myropcb.com for the last year or more. They have a really nice on-line quote and ordering system.

I don't know how well they handle Eagle - I only ever send Gerbers - but I have never had an issue with them. I have never been charged extra for complex board shape routes and often I have asked them to do the panelisation and they have never charged me for it.

A colleague has them make a tiny PCB - about 8mm x 12mm - 4 layers and about .6 or .8mm thick. They never had an issue with that at all.

BUT they may not be for everyone as they are much more of a mainstream traditional PCB house than GP.

The Geek