SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Chupa
I’m laying out a board of an existing product. Most of the parts are not in the eagle library so I will need to make them myself, which is not a big deal. But all of the parts use standard packages (SOIC-14,16, SOT-23, SOT-23-5, etc…). For now I just want to get the schema completed correctly. Is there a library out there with all these standard packages with the symbol just being represented by a box with X amount of leads coming out? That would make my life so much easier. After I get the schem down I can go back and create the symbols correctly. I have the hardest time just trying to find parts with the existing package in my library. Ill search for *SOIC*16*and get nothing.
By Philba
ic-packages.lbr perhaps? However, drawing the schematic symbol is pretty easy. package footprints are somewhat harder, especially if you want to actually get it right!

Note that there are packages all throughout the libraries that you can borrow from. I would, of course, double check them to make sure they are correct. Also, print them out and do a dry fit with the actual chip to make sure. Eagle libs are know to have lots of errors.
By Chupa
ic-package.lbr is the idea of what i want, only for SMDs. that lib is all through hole parts.

And yea when I get around to it im going to just copy the footprints to make a correct part, then dry fit them as you say. I just need a SMD library like that now! Does anyone know of something like that?
By Philba
I guess I wasn't clear, everything you need is there. Some examples - 74xx-us.lbr has SO8, SO14, SO16, SO24W and SO24W. transistor-small-signal.lbr has a bunch of SOTs. You can peruse all the libs in the control panel to find what you need.

To pull one into your own library, open (or create) a library and then switch to the eagle control panel. go to the library entries and find a part that has the footprint you want. right click on the package you want and select "add to library". Poof! you now have the footprint to play with in your library. Draw the schematic symbol and put it together with footprint in the package section.

I will often create my own symbol for an existing part so I can draw a cleaner schematic. Once you do it a couple of times, you will be really quick at it. Making your own footprint is only slightly less easy.

If you haven't already, find one of the library tutorials out there.

Phil
By Chupa
Philba wrote: To pull one into your own library, open (or create) a library and then switch to the eagle control panel. go to the library entries and find a part that has the footprint you want. right click on the package you want and select "add to library". Poof! you now have the footprint to play with in your library. Draw the schematic symbol and put it together with footprint in the package section.
I wasent clear in what i wanted but thats what i was looking for. Thanks!
By wheelthru
I know this is an old thread - but thanks so much for the info! I've been using Eagle for years and have made lots of my own parts in a private lib, but I never knew about importing from the control panel. That's great!