SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By gsmgps_combo
Dear all,

I am a new member of this community and I would like to have some purchasing advise for my project.

GOAL: I need to develop a small device which will send an E-mail/SMS to a recepient containing GPS location. This should be done with the touch of a button. Battery life should be maximized so the device should be activated only when the button is pressed.

What electronics do I need?
I was thinking about:
GM862 Evaluation Kit - USB

QUESTIONS:
Which Battery and how can I connect it?
Which Button?
How do I integrate the button into the system?

Thanx for the help guys!
By gsmgps_combo
Anybody?
By propellanttech
gsmgps_combo wrote:Anybody?
I think you will find very few people willing to jump into a discussion as your propose.

Because there are a million ways to implement this.......the conversation could be endless.

You will need to decide the direction you want to take....and ask more specific questions based on that direction. Any other method of figuring it out, would be asking someone to design it for you. I would think people will not want to do this for free. They had to learn, so you will need to do the same, or pay someone to design it for you.

Just my opinion on the situation,

James L
By velocet
The forum might come across as a bit harsh not replying but you are asking for quite a bit of help.

The eval kit would be fine to get you started and with the addition of a button you could do what you want.

There is however a little more to it than that. YOU will have to read all of the relevant documents and learn Python.

http://www.telit.com/en/products/gsm-gp ... c=show&p=7

There are then all of the issues with running python on the Telit units, its fine but has serious pit falls.

I would recommend that you look through all of the relevant manuals before you spend your cash and decide if it is something you want to do or if its something you want someone to do for you.
By trialex
Also the post is more appropriate for the "Projects" section than the "PCB Design Questions" section.
By gsmgps_combo
Thanx for your replies.

I already have someone who's in charge of the ¨Python part, so no problem on that issue.

The only issue I have is to know what I need to purchase in order to put together the "button" functionality? How is this done?

Thanx again for your replies...
By leon_heller
The GM862 can be switched on with a push button, see the Hardware User Manual. You might be able to program it in Python to send a message then switch itself off. It might be easier to control it with an MCU, interface a push button to that, and use it to switch the GM862 on and get it to send the message.

Leon
By gsmgps_combo
Dear Leon,

thank you for your reply. Can you advice me where to buy an MCU? Is it available @ Sparkfun?

Can you describe me what I need to purchase?

This would be of great help.
By leon_heller
MCU = microcontroller unit. Can you design and program embedded systems?

Leon
By gsmgps_combo
designing and programming embedded systems is not a problem, we have a partner who can do this.

Our issue is the hardware, what do we need to purchase?
By leon_heller
A suitable MCU, like a PIC or AVR. You will also need to design a PCB for it and the GM862 (and the push button).

Leon
By gsm_developer
Again, the hardware aspect is not my thing :-)

could you just help me by giving a specific URL where there are pictures about the different electronics. Maybe on Sparkfun shop?

Thanx in advance, this would help me a great deal.
By leon_heller
I thought you said that you had someone on your team that understands hardware. If it helps, I'm using a PIC16F88 to control the similar GE-863.

Leon
By gsmgps_combo
gsmgps_combo wrote:Thanx for your replies.

I already have someone who's in charge of the ¨Python part, so no problem on that issue.

The only issue I have is to know what I need to purchase in order to put together the "button" functionality? How is this done?

Thanx again for your replies...
I said that we have someone who's in charge of the Python part (programming). The "only" thing we need to do is provide him with a device which can be connected to a computer for programming a script.

My question for the forum is what we need to purchase in order to make the device do what I described above.
By Philba
when is your assignment due?