SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By messi
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if I have to check the impedance of the LPC2148 USB routing on my 6layer board?
Or is it just enough to route it differentially?

Has anyone a hint or tip about this topic.

Best regards

Messi

Stack-Up:
------------
L1: Top (SMT)
L2: Gnd
L3: Vertical (USB)
L4: Horizontal
L5: 3.3V
L5: Bottom (SMT)
By leon_heller
Full-speed USB should be OK without impedance matching. Why do you need a 6-layer board? You stackup looks a bit weird, BTW.

Leon
By messi
leon_heller wrote:Full-speed USB should be OK without impedance matching. Why do you need a 6-layer board? You stackup looks a bit weird, BTW.

Leon
I don't think so.
This stackup is the most common one.
I use a 6Layer stackup because I use various components on a small board (45x88mm or 1.7x3.4") on both sides. One reason is also EMC the other is also to get a better feeling for multi layer boards.

Why do you think that the stackup is weird?

Cheers, J
By leon_heller
Gnd and power planes are usually on the two innermost layers as they need to be close together.

Leon
By messi
This depends on the philosophy. Do you know this link:
http://www.hottconsultants.com/techtips ... -up-3.html

My goal was to be sure that I have a good EMC design.
Pwr and Gnd together is good to create additional Capacitors. But then you are more exposed to EMI especially when you will have a plastic case.

So it is always a question of compromises. I think that I will have less problems with this stackup then with your suggestion. Especially since I also use ground areas on the top/bottom layer.

I know my company is also doing your stackup but they are also using metal cases.
I hope that I will be right if not I will try your stackup the next time.

Cheers

J
By leon_heller
With proper design techniques a four-layer board will meet EMC requirements and be a lot cheaper, and be able to use a plastic enclosure. I once designed a system like that and we didn't have any problems conforming to CE.

Leon