SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Ross Robotics
Looking for suggestions for video tutorials for Eagle CAD or just PCB design in general. I know there are a lot of tuts out there and most of them cover the basics. If you would like to see a better tutorial or need help on more complex designs, let me know.
By Spork Schivago
I don't know if this would count, but I'd like to see some stuff on, I think they're called acid pools, and how to avoid them. I believe they're caused by not routing the board properly. It'd also be nice to see a good video on all the different layers and which ones do what. It gets a little confusing when you're starting out, trying to figure out where everything is (ie, components on the bottom layer, on the top layer, etc). Just a thought. Thanks.
By Ross Robotics
Those are good ones! Especially the layer details idea. I'll start working on it this weekend.
By Spork Schivago
Ross Robotics wrote:Those are good ones! Especially the layer details idea. I'll start working on it this weekend.
That'd be great! I think when people starting using Eagle for the first time, all those layers seem a bit confusing. It'd be nice if there was a way to restore the ones that where checked and unchecked by default. I'm afraid to click different ones on and off because I might not remember which ones where on originally and which ones where off originally. I can do one at a time but that's about it.
By InactiveUser001
How about starting with "How to place your components for best circuit and layout practice".
Including the consideration for return currents which many new users seem to be unaware of. :)

Go through a design process with separate vids per stage, don't skip to Gerbers until how to make a board outline has been done, dont do how to make a board outline until how to draw the schematic has been done.
Before that - how to make the symbols, components & link them. :)

So the first vid is how to install Eagle :)
By Spork Schivago
I kinda like the idea of a video on how to make components that aren't in the Eagle library. I've modified one once and that was a nightmare because I didn't know what I was doing. I was successfully but it took forever. It'd be nice if there was a good video on how to create a device, package and symbol.

Also, I seen you posted a video on how to lay those via's for a ground plane. It'd be nice if you could find away to keep all the videos together, like maybe here? That was an extremely informative video there. Thanks!
By Ross Robotics
How about starting with "How to place your components for best circuit and layout practice".
Now that would be good! May take a while to crank out those videos though. I would start with simple boards and with each video, get more complex.

I just made a part library the other day. Wish now I would have recorded it.. But, I'm pretty sure I will find another part that I need to make!

My videos will be on my channel. Once I get a few posted, I can make a thread on this forum and maybe a few others that outline them.

Thanks for the suggestions!
By InactiveUser001
That's the idea, start out simple and get more technical as you progress.

I train people to use a PCB package and I am often asked for videos, so based on that I'd suggest looking at whats available out there and if you think its in need of doing then set yourself a goal of doing them.
However it can take a lot of time, also get your style, logos' and tech setup right before you start.

I'll be watching so I can learn Eagle from scratch :)
By Pedro147
Thanks for the Eagle layers tutorial Ross that was very informative. I would like to suggest one on basic approaches to manual routing of two layer boards. Lets face it a good manual route is a work of art compared to a quick and dirty auto route :)
By Ross Robotics
Welcome. Good idea. Will be making some videos about Eagle and board layouts next, then get to board routing.
By Spork Schivago
Thanks so much for the Eagle tutorial on the various layers! I had a question though. On layer 47, you mention some Measurement tool and say if we use it, it'll be on the Measurement layer and won't get sent in with the Gerber files. What's the measurement tool and how do I add one to my design? Thanks!
By Ross Robotics
It's the dimension tool on the measurement layer.
By InactiveUser001
Just watched the layers, this was something I was thinking about only a few minutes ago too - what a coincidence - now I know lol
Can they be renamed? - no dont answer that it's OT - I'll google :)

Keep up the good work.
Cheers.