USB Pinouts - Voltage problem

USB PICs and the UBW

Moderator: phalanx

CoffeeSon7

USB Pinouts - Voltage problem

Post by CoffeeSon7 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Not sure if I am even in the right place, I did a search on USB Forums and this is what I got ... LOL.
Apologies if I am in the wrong place. ^.^

I'm looking at quite a few images\descriptions of Mini-B USB 2.0 pinout schematics ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB - scroll down half way to where you see Pinouts section.

In this diagram, USB 1.x/2.0 Mini/Micro pinout - Pin 1 is the +5v rail .. Pin 5 is the Ground. What I'm having a problem understanding is where is the return voltage (-5v rail) going through?

The +5v rail (pin) if you check the images below was not soldered to the circuit board ... there is solder on the board, but not the contact for the pin. Pins 4 & 5 are ID and GND respectively ... Those are soldered but there is no contact on the board for the ID pin, and it looks like the solder from the GND pin as made contact with the ID pin.

This is bad right?

I only ask because when I connected the USB cable to charge it after soldering the power pin to the board as it should have been done in the 1st place, I left it plugged in for about 5-7 minutes. The light blinked for about 10-15 seconds then quit. After the 5-7 minutes I went to check and the USB jack on the gamepad was HOT ... Abnormally hot.

I've attached pics to help show the problem best I could.... This gamepad was purchased and shipped to me with this malfunction.

and

While I am getting a new Gamepad shipped to replace this faulty one, I was wondering if I really could fix it, I'm great with soldering and electronics in general, however I have a hard time understanding whats connected to what with USB and the devices that use them can be wired in so many ways.

Anyone able to shed some light on this, I'd be most appreciative.

Ross Robotics
Support Volunteer

Re: USB Pinouts - Voltage problem

Post by Ross Robotics » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Yes, that's a really bad soldering job. Looks like it was done by hand and he was having a really bad day.

But, you should just be able to resolder the pins to the pad. And use a clean soldering top to separate the bridge between pins. I really don't know what you mean by "I have a hard time understanding whats connected to what with USB.." You don't need to know what pins does what since the pins will line up with the pads. You just need to fix the soldering job.

The USB mini-B will have a standard pinout. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Pinouts

But I would not guarantee the device will start working when you fix the connector. With that solder bridge, it most likely damaged something..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//codlink
Available for circuit and PCB design, just PM me!

CoffeeSon7

Re: USB Pinouts - Voltage problem

Post by CoffeeSon7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Well, I followed your advice and did my best in clearing any solder bridges, however it was so tight trying to get to the GND and ID pins to remove that solder. I imagine some still remains.

My earlier mention on what pins really mattered that I was uncertain of were in reference to some wiki I read that I failed to mention ... apologies on that; but it stated something about the Data (+) and (-) pins being shorted\bridged to indicate to the Computer that it was a "Charging" type connection as opposed to a functional device connection. Since the Data contact on the gamepad board do not lead anywhere, I assumed this might be something I can do because as it is - when i plug it in to the laptop, the message it shows is "The last USB Device you plugged in was not recognized" ... Notably so since the ID and GND contacts are shared by a solder bridge which means No ID would be sent over this connection.

Curious if bridging the Data contacts and pins would trigger the PC to ignore the lack of ID functionality and treat as a simple charger? I don't like shorting things about, but in the case of USB - since those contacts are only used when transmitting data packets, the PC would ignore the fact they are shorted and not use that port for transmitting data right?

Learning a bit about USB as I go heh.

Thanks for the help!

I have 2 working Gamepads now, this one and the replacement is on its way so... lets just hope this next one doesn't have the same problem lol.