Board able communicate through USB hub

USB PICs and the UBW

Moderator: phalanx

Fernis

Board able communicate through USB hub

Post by Fernis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for some kind of electronic board that's able to communicate with an android device through a USB hub: Android device --> USB hub --> some kind of board. I have tried with the ytai IOIO-OTG and it works fine with a direct connection, but doesn't seem to function through the USB hub. I have searched the net for solutions and found that an Arduino board with a shield might be a solution, but I'm not sure about this.

Hope some of you have insight into this topic and will be able to answer my question:

How will I be able to make some kind of I/O connection with my android device through a USB hub?

Thanks in advance :-)

thebecwar

Re: Board able communicate through USB hub

Post by thebecwar » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:20 pm

To connect through a hub your device ("some kind of board") needs to serve as host controller for both the hub and all devices on the hub. You'll need to enumerate the hub and manage the connections. I'm not sure if the "some kind of board" you're talking about supports the device class for hubs (0x09) and for android (0x0A -CDC or 0x08 -Mass Storage), or if it can support both devices at the same time.
~tB~

Fernis

Post by Fernis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe it wasn't clear, but part of my question was meant to be: What kind of board would be suitable for my purpose?

So I don't know if the board supports the device class for hubs and Android. What kind of board would?

thebecwar

Post by thebecwar » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Need more details:
Specifically a PIC board? (This is the PIC section of the forum after all) Or anything?
How much data is this thing going to have to transfer?
Which device class are you using to connect to the Android device?
What is the device going to do? (Just a rough idea. Don't necessarily need every detail.)
How much development work are you willing to put in? (Looking for something with libraries ready to go, or willing to modify existing code.)
Budget? (If money wasn't a factor, I'd just recommend one of the 32-bit MCUs that can run Linux)
~tB~

Fernis

Post by Fernis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 am

Alright. Maybe I posted in the wrong forum then. I didn't see the small text saying 'PIC MICROCHIP'.

But thank you for your time :-)

thebecwar

Post by thebecwar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Don't let me put you off asking the question... The extra info is just so we can look for something/steer you toward something that will work for you.
~tB~