Can USB audio be internally EQ'd ???

USB PICs and the UBW

Moderator: phalanx

geb

Can USB audio be internally EQ'd ???

Post by geb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 am

For god's sake, I've posted this question on six boards so far, going on 500 views from members with only TWO, probably sarcastic responses that "yes, it's possible". No solutions no links.

Since USB audio is digital and bypasses the soundcard, is it possible to EQ the digital signal before it reaches the ports? Do I misapprehend what a digital audio signal is? Must an audio signal ALWAYS be analog converted before EQ'ing? Are system components inside of a laptop set up in a manner that makes insertion of such a purely digital audio desktop graphic EQ utility that affects audio signal to the USB ports technically impossible?

If the answer to that question is that it's possible, then is there simply no market for it? Aren't there USB headphones and speakers out there that either have no option for EQ or their options are so poor that better implementations might be desired?

How can it be so hard to get this questions answered?

(yes I edited this following my last post. i simply removed links. i did not edit for any other content)
Last edited by geb on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

MichaelN
Support Volunteer

Re: Can USB audio be internally EQ'd ???

Post by MichaelN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:05 pm

There is no reason the audio needs to be converted to analog to perform EQ. Since the USB audio device will just look like another audio device to the operating system, why can't you just use one of the many free EQ programs for your laptop? I imagine that most USB audio devices would be supplied with software that could do EQ anyway.

PS: you'll get better responses in future if you're more specific about what you're trying to do. Eg detail the actual hardware you're considering, the OS, any issues you encountered etc.

geb

Post by geb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:35 pm

PS: you'll get better responses in future if you're more specific about what you're trying to do. Eg detail the actual hardware you're considering, the OS, any issues you encountered etc.
And it would be really nice if you'd actually read the entire post before weighing in with such criticism.
Since USB audio is digital and bypasses the soundcard, is it possible to EQ the digital signal before it reaches the ports?
I made it pretty clear. The sound card feeds the laptop speakers and the headphone jack. It's clear in my title that i'm trying to EQ the USB output. The suggestion you make, and then follow with your criticism of my vagueness, completely ignores the title of the thread.

Here are the specifics anyway...

Winxppro 32bit. Listening to last.fm via a usb connected low power fm transmitter. Transmitter GUI has no EQ. There is no software download available for it either. I would like to be able to EQ the broadcast prior to recieving it via the radios. This is an odd application. But it is identical to anyone else wishing to EQ USB audio output to their USB connected/capable headphones or speakers. It can be the case that those headphones or speakers do not have native control or that the control provided is substandard. There is definitely a niche for this. But I cannot seem to find an application/utility. Very strange it seems.
why can't you just use one of the many free EQ programs for your laptop
It's here that I'm really astonished that so many people misapprehend the distinction (unless you actually did neglect to read my whole post) between the digital to analog conversion at the headphone jacks and the digital audio, bypassing the soundcard, that is sent to the USB ports.

I've downloaded, installed, and tried five of the "free EQ" utilities you suggest so far. They all, like the EQ that comes with winxppro, only control the sound card output. Apparently these are only designed to control audio output to the laptop speakers and headphone jacks. None that I've found so far, or asked about (with the exception of J River Media Center that I mention below, if that poster can be taken for his word) is designed to work with the digital signal that goes to the USB jacks.

Another forum suggested J River Media Center. When I asked if he was connected via headphone jack or USB he replied that he was indeed connected via USB (digitally) and indeed the EQ worked via the USB output.

J River Media Center is expensive and includes 999 features that will complicate my life and I don't need. But if that poster is to be believed, then it IS possible to EQ the digital signal prior to the USB connection.

So could someone PLEASE direct me to a simple EQ that can be added to the desktop to control USB audio output?

MichaelN
Support Volunteer

Post by MichaelN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 pm

geb wrote:And it would be really nice if you'd actually read the entire post before weighing in with such criticism
Congratulations – your rudeness and demanding tone has resulted in me ignoring any future posts from you. Perhaps you might like to reflect on why few people seem to want to help you.

fll-freak
Support Volunteer

Post by fll-freak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:20 am

After a review of other posts made, geb added to my ignore list as well.

geb

Post by geb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 am

Congratulations – your rudeness and demanding tone has resulted in me ignoring any future posts from you. Perhaps you might like to reflect on why few people seem to want to help you.
??
After a review of other posts made, geb added to my ignore list as well.

Alas, poor Yorick, gone to me me as well? Another willing to favor me with such aid as suits the question.... but for my manner. Ah... to grieve.
I just reviewed my other posts too. He's kidding me here... right? That sets his teeth on edge?

"Ignore" over my posts here? I make no threats. I use no 'R' rated exclamations. I'm just a little irritated by the accusation of providing insufficient info for a question that, and this is fact, clearly does not require it.

Neither of these gentlemen can stomach anyone with with less than perfect social skills? Seriously?

Anyone else who feels even a little the same, please, please put me on your ignore list as well.

So that's it for the topic? Nothing to offer but tut-tutting the slightly testy tone?

Or just ban me outright from this forum. If it's the case that my 'tone' is over the top for your forum then quieting me might do all concerned a real service by sparing you to suffer it. And accept my sincerest apologies if I so misapprehended the community here. I mean that.