SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about processor boards have here!
By mcrobotics
I have an ESP32 MicroMod attached to the Weather carrier board. So far, so good using the basic examples available out there for the sensors. Something that was bothering me was that the temperature reporting back seemed off. Stacked it up against some COTS temperature sensors and it was way off. Just dawned on me the ESP32 is heating up and making the CB warm, throwing off the atmospheric sensor. Should I have picked a different MicroMod? Kind of needed the wifi for my use case (though I suppose I could have added a ESP8266 on). Nothing super complex to my sketch... :) :?:

Could also have been the repurposed tupperware container I was using with some custom vents cut in the side...any recommendations out there for a Weather CB compatible case for use outdoors?
By TS-Chris
A different processor might be helpful, something like the Artemis won't get hot but you'd lose WiFi capability.
If you need the ESP32, you could attach a second temperature sensor like the Qwiic BME280 to the carrier board and mount away from the carrier board. You'd need to change the address on the external sensor though since the onboard one is at the default I2C address.
By mcrobotics
Thanks Chris. Just happen to have a Qwiic BME280 that was hanging out unused. Quick trace cut and solder jumper later and life seems better.

Back to the heating up of the board, is there a 'better' micromod out there for this carrier board? I'm not above wiring in an external ESP8266 to push the data out every so often. :geek:
By TS-Chris
Better is kind of subjective since the different processors have different pluses and minuses but if you're looking for something that runs cool, anything but the ESP32 is what you're after.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum