SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about carrier boards have here!
I received my MicroMod Input and Display Carrier and SparkFun MicroMod Artemis Processor.

All the examples work except for the Bugger HyperDisplay example code. Absolutely nothing happens on the display, or even serial monitor with the example code.

The default text writing speed is dirt slow making this board almost unusable. With an on-board nav stick and buttons I expected something fast enough to run a small game like tetris, but the display write speed is just too slow.

Also, does the buffer mode allow for all operations including text, or just simple boxes and lines as shown in the example code?
Thanks for reaching out to us on this.

Please ensure you have altered the code to match the MicroMod's pixel count (240x320), the example calls for 32x64, which is not nearly enough.

The buffer mode assembles the 'next' pixel values; whatever code implemented before 'show' or 'print' functions are called should work

Hope this helps, and happy sparking!
I found the disconnect.
The code shown in the tutorial here is a partial code, and not enough to load. It also doesn't match the example code provided with the hyperdisplay 4DLCD-320240 library. (Example4_BufferingHyperDisplay.) The example provided with the 4DLCD-320240 library does not work as is.

I managed to get something working, but it breaks if I set a window larger than 240x166 pixels tall. (240x167 just doesn't run)
I flipped the numbers, and the same is true. Does the Artemis board not have enough memory for a single full screen window buffer, or is there some other bug?

My current working code is below. It took a long time to get past the confusing example that constantly swapped windows for no reason.

If this is actually buffered, the render speed is only a tiny bit faster than direct mode.
Code: Select all
#include "HyperDisplay_4DLCD-320240_4WSPI.h"
#define SERIAL_PORT Serial    // Allows users to easily change target serial port (e.g. SAMD21's SerialUSB)
#define PWM_PIN PWM0             // Pin definitions
#define CS_PIN D0
#define DC_PIN D1
#define SPI_PORT SPI
#define SPI_SPEED 32000000    // Requests host uC to use the fastest possible SPI speed up to 32 MHz

LCD320240_4WSPI myTFT;

ILI9341_color_16_t defaultColor;

void setup() {
  SERIAL_PORT.begin(115200);
  SERIAL_PORT.println("Example4 HyperDisplay : SparkFun TFT LCD 2.4in");

myTFT.begin(DC_PIN, CS_PIN, PWM_PIN, SPI_PORT, SPI_SPEED);  // This is a non-hyperdisplay function, but it is required to make the display work
  myTFT.setInterfacePixelFormat(ILI9341_PXLFMT_16);
  defaultColor = myTFT.rgbTo16b( 255, 255, 255 );
  myTFT.setCurrentWindowColorSequence((color_t)&defaultColor);
}

void loop() {
  //Direct Drawing
  myTFT.pCurrentWindow = &hyperdisplayDefaultWindow;    //Switch to default window
  myTFT.direct();                                       // Set the  window to buffer mode
//  myTFT.clearDisplay();                                 //clear the display
  ILI9341_color_16_t defaultBGcolor = myTFT.rgbTo16b( 200, 0, 0 );     //Set a background color
  myTFT.fillWindow((color_t)&defaultBGcolor);           //Fill backgrouund
  myTFT.setTextCursor(12,12);                           //Set cursor position
  myTFT.print("This text is direct mode...");           //Print text
  myTFT.rectangle(0,0, 239, 319);                       // Draw a border around the window
  myTFT.line(0,0, 239,319);                             // Draw a line
  delay(1000);                                          

//Buffered drawing
  ILI9341_color_16_t window2Mem[240*166];               // Reserve memory for a sub-window
  wind_info_t window2;                                  // Create the sub-window structure
  myTFT.setWindowDefaults(&window2);                    // Initialize the sub-window
  window2.xMin = 0;                                     // Top left corner
  window2.yMin = 0;                                     // Distance from top
  window2.xMax = 239;                                   // Bottom right corner
  window2.yMax = 165;                                   // Bottom left corner
  myTFT.setWindowColorSequence(&window2, (color_t)&defaultColor); // Set a background color
  myTFT.setWindowMemory(&window2, (color_t)window2Mem, 240*166);  // Setup color space in memory
  myTFT.pCurrentWindow = &window2;                                // Switch to sub-window
  myTFT.buffer();                                                 // Set the current window to buffer mode
  ILI9341_color_16_t smallBGcolor = myTFT.rgbTo16b( 0, 200, 00 );       // Make a background color for the sub-window
  myTFT.fillWindow((color_t)&smallBGcolor);                             // Fill background of the sub-window
  myTFT.setTextCursor(12,12);                           //Set cursor position
  myTFT.print("This text is buffered mode...");         //Print text
  myTFT.line(0,0, 239,165);                             // Draw a line using the default color sequence
  myTFT.rectangle(0,0, 239, 165);                       // Draw a border around the window
  myTFT.show();
  delay(1000);
}
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum