SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By fpga4fun
I'm using a Saxo-L from fpga4fun. I want to get an idea of the JTAG speed I can get with this thing. The board has an integrated JTAG over USB connection that works with OpenOCD.

The experiment:
1. First I use the "load_binary" command in RAM (loads a 64KB file in 6.3s).
2. Now I tried to program the file into flash with "dcc_downloads" disabled. It takes 13s for a 100KB file.
3. Now I enable "dcc_downloads". Flashing takes 8.5s, which is faster than RAM!?!

The questions:
1. Is there overhead with the load_binary command? Why is Flash programming sometimes faster than RAM access?
2. How can I verify that the flash programming succeeded? I found that I can use the "dump_binary" command to save the flash into a file and then use a file binary compare on the PC. But is there an easier way?
3. When "dcc_downloads" is enabled, OpenOCD reports errors like "Warning: value captured during scan didn't pass the requested check: captured: 0x09 check_value: 0x01 check_mask: 0x0f". Is that a known bug or possibly a problem with Saxo JTAG stack?
By Dominic
Hi,

Answers:
1. load_binary is the most direct way of transfering a larger block of data to a target's RAM
2. Currently there isn't a verify option. I always wanted to add one, but I never missed it enough to actually write code for it.
3. These warnings indicate problems with the JTAG communication. I have no idea what JTAG interface fpga4fun uses on that board. The only USB-JTAG chip supported by the OpenOCD is FTDI's FT2232, but that board doesn't seem to have one, according to the pictures. Could you please paste your .cfg file?

Regards,

Dominic
By fpga4fun
The cfg file is pretty simple.

#daemon configuration
telnet_port 4444
gdb_port 3333

#interface
interface fx2jtag
reset_config none

#jtag scan chain
jtag_device 4 0x1 0xf 0xe

#target <type> <startup mode>
#target arm7tdmi <reset mode> <chainpos> <endianness> <variant>
target arm7tdmi little run_and_halt 0 arm7tdmi-s_r4

# LPC2138 (32KB RAM, 500KB flash)
working_area 0 0x40000000 0x4000 nobackup
flash bank lpc2000 0x0 0x7D000 0 0 lpc2000_v2 0 24000 calc_checksum
By Dominic
Hi,

I don't know that interface (fx2jtag), and I don't know who wrote the code for it. Did that version of the OpenOCD come with the board, and did it come with source code?

The failing check you're getting a warning about is used to verify that the fixed value of b0001 got captured on every JTAG IR scan. The LPC21xx behaves fine in that regard, and enabling DCC downloads shouldn't cause the problems you're seeing.

Regards,

Dominic
By Dominic
Hi,

I'm generally reluctant when it comes to including support for proprietary JTAG interfaces like yours.
I already declined to include one for a proprietary commercial product, and currently I'm not sure if I'm going to include support for this.
I'm already unhappy with having to use FTDI's FTD2XX, but there user's have at least the choice of using the free libftdi, and all the hardware is documented.

These general reservations aside there are also a few things you should fix in your code:
- The .speed member of the jtag_interface_t structure isn't optional - it gets called whenever a users enters the "jtag_speed" command. If there's no way for your target to implement throttling then provide a dummy function. This could also be the reason for the probems you're seeing - how fast does your JTAG interface operate? The LPC's use the ARM7TDMI-S which limits TCK to less than 1/6th of the core frequency - with your LPC213x and the PLL turned off this is somewhere between 2 MHz and 3 MHz.
- Your protocol uses single bytes for values that could very well exceed 8 bit, like scan size (the current trunk code scans for devices in the chain with a 360 bit scan), runtest (the XScale code idles for 2030 cycles) or sleep (sleeps are specified in microseconds, and quite likely exceed 255us).
- It unconditionally calls Windows specific functions (WSA*)
- BOOL isn't used anywhere else, and seems to be Windows specific, too (does it work with Cygwin?)
- There are no asserts used in OpenOCD (we could discuss using them, but until there's an agreement on how and when to use them I'd rather not use them)

Regards,

Dominic
By fpga4fun
As you mention, I need to clean up the code a little (it's been tested only on Windows) and it could be a speed issue, I'll look into that and implement the speed function.
I understand you are reluctant to include proprietary code, no problem either way.
Thanks for the comments and for OpenOCD BTW!
By fpga4fun
I did a little work tonight. I fixed the speed function. I found I was actually under driving the JTAG (in term of speed). Now it flashes 100KB in 8s instead of 13s (dcc_downloads off). The ARM core runs at 24MHz, not sure if that matters for flash programming timing.
I've put asserts on the bytes to make sure they don't bite me right now (and I changed the initial scan so that it looks only for a few devices).
My current guess is that the TCP stack is bitting me. "dcc_downloads" enabled makes the JTAG packets much bigger and I've already seen TCP screwing up for small packets, maybe it's worse for bigger ones.
By jw
Hi,
Dominic wrote: - The .speed member of the jtag_interface_t structure isn't optional - it gets called whenever a users enters the "jtag_speed" command. If there's no way for your target to implement throttling then provide a dummy function. This could also be the reason for the probems you're seeing - how fast does your JTAG interface operate? The LPC's use the ARM7TDMI-S which limits TCK to less than 1/6th of the core frequency - with your LPC213x and the PLL turned off this is somewhere between 2 MHz and 3 MHz.
I got somewhat curoius about this topic. AFAIK, the LPC's start up with a rather low frequency and can be configured to a higher frequency in the startup code.

This means for OpenOCD it would be desirable to change the speed dynamically: switch to a low frequency when chip is reset, but have the possibility (with a new command) to switch to a higher frequency. I think this could improve download spee greatly.

Would that be possible? Or do I miss something here?
By Dominic
It's already possible to adjust the JTAG speed at any time during execution. Just add a "jtag_speed <n>" after you've made sure that the PLLs are enabled, and it will operate at the new speed.

Regards,

Dominic
By jw
Dominic wrote:It's already possible to adjust the JTAG speed at any time during execution. Just add a "jtag_speed <n>" after you've made sure that the PLLs are enabled, and it will operate at the new speed.
Ah... Since jtag_speed is listed in the "configuration options" section, I thought it is an option, not a command.
By fpga4fun
BTW, I fixed my problem a few weeks ago. Now OpenOCD looks very solid.
TCP was kicking my butt, I forgot that if you send a packet of 1000 bytes over TCP, you might receive two packets of 500 bytes ... and vice-versa.