SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By bigcalves
Attempting to get openocd to clear the reset reason on the STM32F407 processor on my STM32F4 Discovery board, I added this command to my openocd.config file:

# Clear the reset reason
mwb 0x40023877 0x01

This was generating an error and preventing the server from coming up when running openocd -f openocd.config. This same command works fine on a production board with the same microprocessor but with an ftdi adapter. Setting the debug_level to 3 I found that the stlink firmware was trying to verify my write with a read behind the scenes:

Debug: 73 2929 command.c:145 script_debug(): command - ocd_command ocd_command type ocd_mwb 0x40023877 0x01
Debug: 74 2930 command.c:145 script_debug(): command - mwb ocd_mwb 0x40023877 0x01
Debug: 76 2937 hla_target.c:766 adapter_write_memory(): adapter_write_memory 0x40023877 1 1
Debug: 77 2950 stlink_usb.c:399 stlink_usb_error_check(): Verify error
Debug: 78 2951 command.c:628 run_command(): Command failed with error code -4
User : 79 2951 command.c:689 command_run_line():
Debug: 80 2951 hla_interface.c:119 hl_interface_quit(): hl_interface_quit

This fails because that address is STM32F407's RCC_CSR peripheral register and we are attempting to write to the RMVF bit to clear the reset reason. Per the documentation this is a write-only bit and reads back as a zero. Hence the verify error. The same issue was apparently noticed two years ago here http://openocd-devel.narkive.com/c9CrVc ... ess-and-mw but I don't see that it has been addressed. I tried changing the logic that returns an ERROR_FAIL to an ERROR_OK in stlink_usb.c where the STLINK_JTAG_WRITE_VERIF_ERROR is being handled in stlink_usb_error_check(). This works well. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't do this? I wouldn't think one would want the server to abort if this unsolicited write-read verification fails. Clearly there is no such write-read verification being done with the ftdi adapter, since no error is thrown in my tests.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]