SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By omidontop
Hello!

I must thank the contributors of this amazing project. I am using the latest release 0.9.0 of the OpenOCD and a board using a STM32F205 processor. My debugger is a ST-Link V2 and my CPU is running at a 120 MHz frequency. I use the following command to get the ITM output in a file:
Code: Select all
tpiu config internal test.log uart on 120000000
F.N: If anyone else is struggling with finding out how to send these commands to OpenOCD, it's either through a
openocd -c "your command"
when launching the OpenOCD instance or using a telnet session with your OpenOCD instance (Mine is on Port 4444).

The file is populated with the live trace but it can not be directly displayed as there seem to be delimiters in between characters. Now one message that I expect to see for example is:
[INFO][main]: GREEN: ON
Now when I have the formatter enabled, I get something like this:
Which seems to be a raw packet. Now if I disable the formatter, I get something like this:
Which looks very much like what I'd like to see but has a 0x01 character between every two characters.

I'd like to know if this is the intended behaviour and what's the point of using a formatter if you can't directly get a useful output?