SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By bernardf
Hi.

I was used to have:

- Linux
- openocd rev 82
- Amontec JTAG key
- STR7 target

to work correctly

Now I try to use rev 86 and openocd does not work anymore. It says:

Info: openocd.c:82 main(): Open On-Chip Debugger (2006-08-01 12:00 CEST)
Info: configuration.c:50 configuration_output_handler(): Command ftd2xx_device_desc not found
Info: configuration.c:50 configuration_output_handler(): Command ftd2xx_layout not found
Info: configuration.c:50 configuration_output_handler(): Command ftd2xx_vid_pid not found
Error: jtag.c:1223 jtag_init(): No valid jtag interface found (ftd2xx)
Error: jtag.c:1224 jtag_init(): compiled-in jtag interfaces:
Error: jtag.c:1227 jtag_init(): 0: ft2232

It seems that the ./configure options changed recently, i.e. --enable-ftd2xx became --enable-ft2232-ftd2xx

Also openocd is now trying to look for libd2xx.so instead of libftd2xx.so

Anyone has rev 86 working on Linux with ftd2xx lib ? How should I call ./configure to use it with Amontec JTAG key?

Thanks!

Bernard
By Dominic
Hello Bernard,

the ftd2xx.c and the ftdi2232.c got integrated into a single ft2232.c driver, as it became a nightmare keeping both interfaces supported. The ftdi2232 always lagged behind, and people who couldn't/didn't want to use the proprietary FTDI driver couldn't use the OpenOCD at all.

The new interface is called 'ft2232', as indicated by:
Error: jtag.c:1224 jtag_init(): compiled-in jtag interfaces:
Error: jtag.c:1227 jtag_init(): 0: ft2232

It accepts the same options as the ftd2xx, but they're now called
ft2232_device_desc, ft2232_layout and ft2232_vid_pid.

I couldn't reproduce your problem regarding libftd2xx.so vs. libd2xx.so. Using ./configure --enable-ft2232_ftd2xx --enable-amtjtagaccel --enable-parport, i got:
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libftd2xx.so.0.4]

Regards,

Dominic
By bernardf
Thanks Dominic!

Everything works correctly again. Now as you wrote some time ago, str7 flashing is very slow. If ever one wants to spend some time to speed it up, do you have any hint about what to do?
By Dominic
Spen already has the necessary pieces, but hasn't found time to bring everything together yet.

Basically you have to write some code that runs on the target to write buffers from target RAM to flash. It's a lot faster to write large blocks of data to target RAM, than using single accesses for every word that should be programmed. An example is the code in cfi.c that writes Intel compatible CFI flashes.

Regards,

Dominic