SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By zed_thirteen
Sorry about the noob question.

Is there any support at all through OpenOCD for interfacing to the JTAG TAP on an Intel 386EX embedded processor? It supports IEEE 1149.1 and provides TDI, TDO, TCK, TMS and TRST#

I'm currently using a parallel port adapter (from Intel App Note AP-720) under a command prompt windows 95 and it's really unreliable so am looking to port our JTAG code to a better interface.

I don't need to run a debugger. I just need some basic functionality to read the system RAM and perhaps update the flash.

I know the 386EX is no longer a relevant processor but I still have to develop and maintain software for our embedded devices which are still using them.

Thanks
David
By craigm2878
Hi David,

I realize this post is 2 years old, but did you ever find a solution? I've been working with the same App Note AP-720 for connecting the 386EX to a JTAG interface, though I don't have a working setup currently. Just like you all I want to do is read and write to the flash. My 386EX isn't on an evaluation board like in the App Note, but it uses the same intel Flash chip.

Shoot me a reply if you're still there! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Thanks,
Craig