SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By sp0001
Hi,

I am encountering difficulties when building openocd from svn sources on a cygwin host. Since I don't have svn access at work, I am currently using revision 60 that I had downloaded some time ago at home.

Basically the issue is that the build process (bootstrap, configure and install) works without any problem.
However, when trying to use the finally generated executable with an olimex wiggler clone, I get the error message

missing priviledges for direct io ()

in parport.c:289.

When using a pre-compiled binary (openocd-pp) from the admontec company I succeed in getting the system working. However, using a pre-compiled binary is not much of a help if you plan to work on the open-ocd code and (maybe) contribute.

Any hint on how to overcome the difficulty would appreciated.

Bjoern Haase
By tecnologia
I am just a starter with OpenOCD, thou in my readings over the web I remember something about using a program called giveio that should be used for windows to make available the direct access to the parallel port resource.
By mifi
Hello Bjoern,

try to use the latest verion r78, a precompiled binary with
install program can be found here:

http://www.usbdip.de/en/openocd/index.html

The version r78 will support giveio, and the install program
comes with it.

I think for the cygwin version r60 you need ioperm.

Best regards,

Michael
By sp0001
Hi,

thank you for your replies. Meanwhile I found out how to solve the problem. It seems that cygwin binary makes use of some ioperm library that needs to be properly installed prior to it's use. It seems that this installation is not always done when installing cygwin.

After once excecuting

ioperm -i

in a cygwin shell everything worked fine.

Bjoern.
By Dominic
Hello Bjoern,

I strongly recommend you use the latest version available, i.e. r78, either from SVN or precompiled from Michael's website. I'll try to have snapshots of the latest source available in the files section, to make life easier for people who don't have access to SVN on their systems.

Regards,

Dominic