SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By GentlemanEngineer
I am having some difficulties in connecting the C232HM-EDHSL-0. I have created the (temporary) .cfg:
interface ft2232

ft2232_device_desc "C232HM-EDHSL-0"
ft2232_layout usbjtag
ft2232_vid_pid 0x0403 0x6010
adapter_khz 1000
However, when this is run, the result is:
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0-dev-00301-g416e79e (2014-01-22-20:53)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
Warn : Unable to open FTDI Device tried: 'C232HM-EDHSL-0' and 'C232HM-EDHSL-0 A'
Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found
Error: ListDevices: 1
Error: : "C232HM-EDHSL-0"
in procedure 'init'
It does appear that the program is stating that "C232HM-EDHSL-0" does not match "C232HM-EDHSL-0".

It is not my belief that the drivers are to be suspect as the device name is successfully retrieved, and other FTDI devices do function as desired. In addition, this device does function elsewhere.

It is my hope that someone has some light to shed upon this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
By gogol
Device description needs to be that string, you can see with
Code: Select all
lsusb -v -d 0403: | grep idProduct 
I use a (UM232H-B-WE) cable, which is just the bigger brother of yours.
While the C232HM/C232HD series of cables has either the 8 high-speed or the 8 low-speed IOs broken out, the UM232H-B has all 16 IOs available.

The ftdi_device_desc line can occur multiple times (by my tests) and in that case the first match is take. You can also omit the line, in that case the first adapter with the right VID:PID is used, no matter of iProduct string.

However I can encourage you, to use the FTDI driver instead of the FT2232, because reading documentation, the second one is somewhat buggy and additions -like you and me are planning- can only occur together with code snippets, which need to be compiled.
The FTDI driver allows to define each MPSSE pin to be defined in configuration file and should be used for all new projects!

I am still struggeling with the correct syntax for the extended GPIOs, however one setting, which works for my cable. I extended that with your iProduct string (change it, when your iProduct differs).
Code: Select all
interface ftdi
ftdi_device_desc "UM232H-B"
ftdi_device_desc "C232HM-EDHSL-0"
ftdi_vid_pid 0x0403 0x6014
ftdi_layout_init 0x0018 0x05fb
See my post in https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37512, would be great, if someone can provide at least snippets of information!