SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Hardware or product specific questions are best asked here.
By jiggermole
It says its supported out of the gate, however in the terminal it will not detect the SCD30. I have another sensor, the UV sensor and it detects that just fine. I have power to the board, but the open log is just not seeing it.
By TS-Brandon
Can you provide a picture of your setup? Which data bus are you using?
By jiggermole
Im using i2c. what you see is the scd30 and the uv sensor but I have tried it with just the scd30 connected by itself and it still doesn't work.
20200428_015754.jpg
20200428_015745.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By TS-Brandon
Try pulling the 'SEL' pin low to ground. The datasheet says you can leave it floating or pull to ground for I2C.
By TS-Brandon
Have you tired the SCD30 with another microcontroller, such as a RedBoard?
By jiggermole
no. I have no other boards in that quic ecosystem. The whole point of getting this setup was so I could just plug everything in and get logging. But I guess that isn't the case.
By jiggermole
V1.3 of the firmware did allow it to connect. Its logging now.
And regarding the not being able to reliably not work. I tried a minimum of 10 times and it didn't work a single time.
And kind of an unrelated note. Since I was ordering a redboard I ordered the qwiik surface mount connectors. On the back of the SCD30 there are pads that are the right dimension for the quick connector. Didn't check with a meter. They're not for the qwiic connector. May want to make a note on the product page for boneheads like me. I ordered a second SCD30 so its fine.
By liquid.soulder
jiggermole - I'm glad this is working for you now. Thanks for reporting the issue so we could address it. I'm not familiar with the SCD30 but I was curious about the pads on the back - taking a look I can confirm that they are not in the correct order to be compatible with Qwiic.

The Qwiic standard puts four pins in this order:
- GND
- VCC (3.3V)
- SDA
- SCL

The pads on the SCD30 appear to be in the order:
- VCC
- GND
- SCL
- SDA

Which is unfortunately not a simple rotation/mirror of the Qwiic specification. Therefore the only way to use a qwiic connector on those pads is to use re-route the pins as needed. You could, for example, use two of these Qwiic -> breadboard cables to bridge the gap - just being mindful of what pins really go where...
By jiggermole
Yeah like I said, I didn't check before trying the quick connector, and if I did someone else might pull a dumb as well. I used a short qwiic cable cut one end off and soldered like in the picture.
I do have another question. Sorry for the long time between posts.
I'm having some trouble dialing the logging delay. In the logging menu it has time between logs in seconds. I put that at 300 seconds for 5 minutes, but it logs every 40 seconds. Set it for 600 seconds and it is 80 seconds between logs. Doing the math I set it for 2250 for 5 minutes and it logs every 24 seconds. So not sure whats up with that.
By jiggermole
okay so more information. Looks like it caps out at 130 secondsish. If I request it to log at 150 seconds I get a reading roughly every 11ish seconds. Anything below 130 seconds is accurate. Above that, it rolls over.
By n1ist
Sounds like the time is stored in a signed 8-bit number. I guess it will cap out at 127 seconds.
300 mod 128 = 44, 600 mod 128 = 88
That doesn't work for the 2250 but 250 mod 128 = 25, so the 2250 maybe getting parsed wrong as well.
/mike
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum