SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Hardware or product specific questions are best asked here.
By cinbisc
I ordered & received OLA DEV-19426 (without IMU) a few weeks ago. I would like to log an analog signal via pin 11 and be able to stop logging via pin 32. I had couple issues. One of them is to do with the log file time stamps. I programmed the unit not to log date and time with every data point to keep data rate high but wanted to have the correct file date and time info stored so that I can tell when that file was created. It does not keep the correct date and time. Each time I press the reset button to start data logging, it goes to a date with year 2000.
The other issue is to do with power consumption. When I stop data logging by pulling pin 32 low, the Artemis module is supposed to go to sleep but apparently SDcard power is not getting disconnected which keeps the current drain around 15 mA. This is too high for my application. Reading that logged file date and time stamp issue has been corrected in v1.6 and hoping that MICROSD_PWR line gets pulled high before going to sleep, I tried to upgrade the firmware. I followed the instructions and downloaded "Artemis Firmware Uploader v2.0" and downloaded a firmware that I can find in the downloaded folder. I believe that was not the right one but now I cannot communicate with the board. Any help to solve this issue will be appreciated. Thank you.
By PaulZC
Hello @ cinbisc ,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties.

The board would have come pre-programmed with the latest firmware. Version 2.4 is the latest.

Please try updating the firmware again. Please remove the SD card first, then upgrade. Please try the standard Version 2.4 first:

https://github.com/sparkfun/OpenLog_Art ... 10-v24.bin

We have noticed that on some boards - with some SD cards - the card start-up current (in-rush) can cause the board to reset. If you are still having problems with the board losing the date and time, please try this firmware instead:

https://github.com/sparkfun/OpenLog_Art ... ection.bin

Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,
Paul
By cinbisc
Thank you Paul.

As I said in my previous email, I am using pin 32 to stop logging data and put the micro to sleep. With version 2.4, is it supposed to disable the power to microSD card? I do not see any noticeable change in current drain of the board. It hovers around 15 mA when it is active or in sleep. Thank you for your help.
By PaulZC
Hello @ cinbisc ,

How are you measuring the sleep current? Via the MEAS pins?

Have you enabled the stop-logging option - via the menu?

Have you disabled the PWR LED during sleep - via the menu?

Do you have anything connected to the Qwiic bus? Have you disabled Qwiic bus power during sleep - via the menu?

Do you still have USB connected? That will increase the sleep current dramatically.

I hope this helps,
Paul
By cinbisc
Hi Paul,

I measure the current from Vin.

I enabled stop logging by pulling pin 32 low option via the menu.

I disabled the PWR LED during sleep via the menu but noticed that it does not turn off. But with 1K resistor, I am guessing LED does not contribute more that a few mA.

There is nothing connected to Qwiic bus. I did disabled the Qwiic bus via the menu.

I measured the current without USB connection.

Thank you.
By PaulZC
Hi,

Can you please describe how you are powering the board. Please attach a photo if possible.

Are you providing an external voltage directly onto VIN? What voltage are you using?

Do you have a LiPo battery connected to the battery connector?

Thank you,
Paul
By cinbisc
Hi Paul,

I realized I stated it wrong. I do apply power using the vias marked "+" and "-" right on bottom of the LiPo connector.

I also realized that the boards were shipped with firmware version 2.2. I updated them to version 2.4 and now, I do not see the high current drain after stopping data logging. However, it takes two resets to start logging again which is unexpected.

Best.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum