SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Hardware or product specific questions are best asked here.
By brutek
Bought a Redboard several months ago. Using a Macbook with Mojave (10.14.6). I cannot upload a sketch nor update the boot firmware. The TX/RX LEDs light for a split second, then I get a fail in the Arduino IDE. The Arduino IDE will successfully program an Arduino Uno board.
By TS-Brandon
Can you post the error message from the Arduino IDE?
By forthdude
May or may not be relevant, but I was having the same issue with my Artemis Thing Plus:
Artemis SVL Bootloader
Target failed to enter bootload mode. Verify the right COM port is selected and that your board has the SVL bootloader.
In my case slowing the baud rate down to 460800 did the trick
By Inquorate
Writing to file C:\Users\benja\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_821228/Blink.ino_Wired_OTA_blob.bin
Image from 0x0 to 0x18af0 will be loaded at 0x20000
Connecting over serial port COM3...
Fail
Fail
Fail
Tries = 3
Upload failed

Simply cannot connect with my artemis nano, right out of the box.
By YellowDog
Are you absolutely certain your board is on COM3 and not another port?
Other than COM port, do your settings match these?
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By frankus
It finally worked for me (MacOS 10.15.7) but I had to slow it all the way down to 57600.

Board: RedBoard Artemis
Uploader: Ambiq Secure Bootloader (Recommended)"
SparkFun Variable Loader Baud Rate: 57600
Port: /dev/cu.usbserial-1420
--
Programmer: "Ambiq Secure Bootloader"
By frankus
Update: installed the driver from here: https://github.com/adrianmihalko/ch340g ... l_V1.3.zip

I now have duplicate serial ports (/dev/cu.usbserial-1420 and /dev/cu.wchusbserial1420), but uploading works. It seems like maybe the built-in Catalina driver doesn't work with this board yet.

The output with the built-in driver is below:

Writing to file /var/folders/dr/l7mlbx6s1wb061grlnkgpykr0000gn/T/arduino_build_910253/sketch_nov28a.ino_Wired_OTA_blob.bin
Image from 0x0 to 0x18640 will be loaded at 0x20000
Connecting over serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-1420...
Sending Hello.
No response for command 0x00000000
Failed to respond
Fail
Sending Hello.
Failed to respond
Fail
Sending Hello.
Failed to respond
Fail
Tries = 3
Upload failed
By TS-Brandon
frankus wrote:Update: installed the driver from here: https://github.com/adrianmihalko/ch340g ... l_V1.3.zip
Unfortunately, that specific driver repo isn't in our CH340 guide: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... -need-them. Therefore, I can't distinguish if that is the issue or contributing to the issue. I would recommend clearing that driver out of your system and replacing it with the one listed in the guide, since we have tested that one, and possibly replacing your current RedBoard.

**Note: Mac's update to Big Sur is causing some disruption to the USB-Serial drivers, such as the CH340. While we are aware of the issue and we are investigating possible solutions, we are unable to provide a full solution at this time because this is an issue between third party software and the Mac OS developers.
By e3b0c442
I'm curious if there are any updates to this, or if anybody has had luck uploading to Artemis boards with Big Sur.

macOS has included CH340 drivers since Catalina, so I feel like this isn't actually a driver issue.

Thanks.
By e3b0c442
Just like to note -- i did verify the functionality of the port/included macOS driver by compiling and installing the tensorflow micro example using a Linux machine and then connecting it back to the MacBook and attaching to the port with screen. I'll build some kind of echo example and get that on if needed to verify bidirectional transmission but the fact that I'm getting the serial read tells me that there is a functioning driver.
By TheResister
I began having the same problem with the same error message. Right in the middle of a program debug session. It worked perfectly until I reseated the board on the solderless breadboard then I started getting this error.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum